Need facemask/respirator help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Ok. I normally wear a disposable dust mask and a full face visor when I'm turning something.

The problem I have is being a fat guy I sweat with all this gear on, and last night while turning a small bowl I fogged up my visor so much I could hardly see, to the point of having condensation dripping down the visor. Not being able to see is as much or more of a danger than not wearing the visor at all, so I took it off which isn't good! :eek:

I would love to get a triton or trend powered air mask, but I don't have the kind of coinage to drop right now, so I'm looking for other suggestions?

I notice that Brian Simmons just wears safety glasses, so that may be an option.

Also, does anyone have the small power mask that Woodcraft and Rockler sell for around $65?

I have also thought about ghetto rigging a setup similar to the trend where a box with filters and computer fan hangs on a belt and attaches to the Uvex bionic face mask. I've looked at pictures of the inside of the trend airshield and it's nothing more than a battery, a prefilter, and two cartridge filters, so it would be simple to duplicate.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregHight

Harbour Feight has some affordable choices. I bought some safety/reading glases (rockler $6) that I like to wear when turning and just use a $12 high power fan on the wall above my lathe to blow the dust away. I'm nat a skinny fella either and get hot easy and my texas garage is not air conditioned so there is no way I'm doing a face shield.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
While goggles will protect your eyes they don't do anything for the rest of your head if the bowl should come apart. Prior to my getting a Triton I wore the cartridge style respirator and never had a problem with the face mask fogging up though I will admit the the respirator had to be drained occasionally.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
There are some eye glasses places that carry a paste kind of something you can put on your glasses so they will never fog up. I think I've seen it at Bed, Bath & Beyond as well. It works on the inside of my visor as well as the safety glasses I use.

Top Bottom