Need equipment ideas for new turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool_Addict

Hello all. First post here. I've been turning for a while, but have only recently gotten bitten by the pen bug. My folks were here for Thanksgiving and I introduced my 72yr old Mother to pen turning. I found out that woodturning was something she's always been facinated by and has wanted to learn how to do for most of her life. Well, it may have come late to her, but I'm certainly happy that I was able to get her started. She turned 7 Slimline pen/pencils while she was visiting and they all turned out terrific. I was so proud.
What I need from you folks, is what can you recommend for me to get her set up with. My shop is fully outfitted with just about anything anyone would ever need to build all sorts of stuff, so I may have spoiled her a bit. She loved the Jet VS Mini lathe and I plan to buy her a starter package with that lathe, tools, blanks finish, glue mandrel etc..you've all probably seen that package for sale too.
What I wonder about though, is drilling the blanks without a press, cutting the blanks without a bandsaw etc. What does someone use that does not have the big power tools? I suppose maybe I could also get her a little drill press and bandsaw, but they are very limited on space, and at the moment, her husband is not very supportive of her newfound hobby and complains there isn't room for any of that. Hopefully his tune will change when he finally gets the courage to "give it a spin".
Is there someone here that does it all by hand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

If you splurge and get her a chuck with some pin jaws she could drill on the lathe. As far as cutting goes a small miter box is sufficient so long she is able to use everything. I used a pull saw and a block of wood to cut my first 30 or 40 blanks.

It is great that she is able to do this and has the ambition to do it. More power to her, maybe Dads a little jealous [;)]

Scott

Hi Forrest!

Good for you! You can drill on the lathe. Buy her a #2MT drill chuck and it will fit on the Jet Mini. For a little more add a small inexpensive four-jaw chuck to hold the blank while drilling. Kevin's suggestion of the small miter box is a good one! You probably won't get her a grinder to sharpen tools, so get her a cheap set of Harbor Freight diamond hones so she can keep the tools sharp. And buy her some beautiful blanks! You're a good Son!

Scott.

Tool_Addict

Hey, thanks all. These were some great ideas. I like the drill on the lathe idea especially. No extra room taken up in her garage. I think a little block setup with a nice pull saw will be the trick for cutting, and I'll definitely get her a set of diamond hones. Now I just have to start scrounging up a bunch of different blanks and pen kits to keep her busy thru the winter. Thanks again!

dubdrvrkev

Check Darios special in the classifieds for some variety blanks. If you tell him who they are for I'm sure he'll make sure to send blanks that won't need stabilized or 'special' care.

Tool_Addict

Hey now that you mention "stabilized" I'm going to try and rig something up tomorrow to do that. Figure a jar with a fitting in the cap, some thinned poly, and my manual vacuum pump. I've got some spalted maple & sycamore I'd like to stabilize for her so I can come up with something other than walnut and black locust to work with. Hopefully I can round up a good variety of woods and pre-drill a bunch of 7mm for her to get started with.

Thanks for the reminder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom