Need drill bit size for slim and cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

And I will be painting the blank and the brass so I will need a litle bigger bit but no sure how big. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

terryf

I dont think you will need to use a bigger bit but why not test on scrap wood first?

Measure once, cut twice; Measure twice, cut only once :)

mick

I drill all 7mm pens with a 9/32 this leaves plenty to be able to paint the inside of the blank as well as the tube if necessary. For the 10mm anything one size up isjust too much slop so I use a rat tail file and gently remove enough to paint. Doesn't take much.

refueler1

I used a 10 mm on three cigar blanks sets and painted the blank and the tube. They were a PITA to get in using epoxy but I was able to get them in. I was just wondering if there was a specific bit size folks used when painting. Guess I could try a round file...

terryf

I would rather they were a bit tight than a bit loose - certain recipe for OOR in my experience.

One of the biggest problems not having access to imperial bit sizes and all kits built around them. I cant believe we're still using imperial - its like insisting on driving your model T even thought the rest of the world is driving Bugatti's!! :devil:

hehehehe

hewunch

According to the drill bit size charts in the Library.
7mm = .2756
J bit = .2770
k bit = .2810
9/32 = .2812

Also
10mm = .3937
X bit = 3970
Y bit = .4040

refueler1

A "J" bit is just a bit bigger than 7mm. Works for me.

Thanks Sharon, think I might just order one this payday.I have order 12 kits the wife wants me to make for family and she wants them all acrylic but just havent narrowed it down to what kind of pen to use. Not a slimline but something nicer.

KenV

Don -- sounds like a carpenter from North Dakota I used to work with......

Except with hiim it was usually cut it three times.

LeeR

Here is the set I bought at Harbor Freight a few years ago. And I bought it on sale for about $30, so it was WAY less than this. The list price may have gone up a little, but you may luck out and find these on sale before too long. I usually steer clear of most HF tools, but the bits have been fine, for that occasional need to go up or down a letter or number to get that "just right" sized bit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/115-pi...d-m2-high-speed-steel-drill-bit-set-1611.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom