Need design comments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

This feels amazing in the hand, but I can't decide if I like the look or not. It's a Pentel barrel in curly maple. Ignore the soaked in dye. I need some new guitar strings (errr... "burning wire"). I just wanted to get a feel for the look.

Curly maple, dyed grooves, finished in CA/BLO and buffed/waxed.

I'm thinking maybe o-rings in the notches instead of burning them.

I left the mechanism in the garage downstairs when I took these photos, but made up for it by using my phone with the IAP site up on it as a prop.

penteljetage02.jpg

penteljetage03.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Don,

Since you asked, I feel that your burn lines are a bit too large for this application. I have an old screwdriver that I sharpened to a point. (Think of an ice pick) I use that for lines, and then "burn" them with an ultrafine Sharpie. For lines that have consistent spacing, I have another old screwdriver that I ground an upsidedown "U" in the blade and sharpened both "legs" of the U. This way I can space my lines evenly.

DurocShark

Thanks Cav. The nib end I was trying to get increasing spaced lines, but they came out so thick after trying to burn them with a coat hanger, then my dye soaked in and looks smeared, so it all fubar'd. I like your idea much better.

JerrySambrook

Don,
Try using guitar strings for burning in. If you know any guitarist/musicians, then ask for their unwound discards.
Or just head down to the nearest music store, and ask about buying singles.
You can get a great variation and they are all long, so you can get upwards of five wires per string

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Don,
Try using guitar strings for burning in. If you know any guitarist/musicians, then ask for their unwound discards.
Or just head down to the nearest music store, and ask about buying singles.
You can get a great variation and they are all long, so you can get upwards of five wires per string

Uh, Jerry re-read Don's post as re guitar strings. :wink:

DurocShark

heehee It's cool. I had one I bummed but it finally got brittle and broke.

I'll pick up a set of Ernie Ball slinkies (if they still make 'em... It's been 20 years since I played.)

JerryS

I agree with William the grooves are to wide for the scale of the pen . Try using the B or G string in a light gauge ( High E around a #9 gauge) You can buy singles and probably get some free broken or worn strings from the guitar/music store.

Randy_

I agree with comments about the width and uniformity of the decorative rings.

Other thing that I would suggest is to move the clip a little further down the barrel so there is a little more exposed above the clip. The barrel looks a little unbalanced to me the way it is. Take a look at a stock Pentel.

Top Bottom