Need a critique on two tests

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

Since these barrels haven't been assembled into a pen and maybe won't, at least not as a set, I thought I should post it here. From a cigar kit, the upper barrel is made from composite cork that's often used for rod grips. The lower barrel is covered with red varigated metal leaf and 4 coats of epoxy resin. The two barrels started out to be for a pen, but the lower barrel design got ruined so I decided to try this. What do people think? Any hope for either? Thanks

2006311212115_tests.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

I would try being more selective with the leafing. Maybe try a pattern or just a portion of the blank. I don't have an opinion on the cork. There seems to be a shadow on that blank.

jssmith3

Hi Gerry, I think they both have potential just not together. I would put the cork half with a very dark wood for its other half and the metal leaf one with just about anything but I would make it a wood without a lot of grain as to not compete with the metal leaf half or else it becomes to busy. Just my opinion and good luck, please post a pic of them when you finish.
Janet :)

wayneis

I think that the gold and red leaf may look interesting with a copper cigar kit. I would cover a blank that you have turned to the size needed and then use either CA or Enduro and put a finish on it. I think that it would turn out similar to a pen that Anthony painted a while ago.

Wayne

gerryr

I never intended these to be put together as one pen. The cork was to be used with something else, but that got messed up so I decided to give the gold leaf a try just to see how it looked on it's own. Maybe I should have posted them separately?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Gerry - check out the middle pen from this post in January. It will give you some idea of what your metal leaf will look like. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12331

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom