Need Black wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrc

I need some black wood for a dragon pen. Never seen African Blackwood and some ebony is not black. What would be my best choice and where to find it?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

negid

Gaboon Ebony should be your first choice followed by African Blackwood.

Perhaps you might even look into a black acrylic?

Arizona Silhouette has the gaboon ebony. Not sure where to find Blackwood. Might check the classifieds on these forums, that's where I picked up a few pieces a little while back.

Hello

not all blackwood is black...much of it, when examined closely is very dark brown....I had happened across a sun-bleached piece a short while back....it was COOOOL! anywa...I agree about the black acrylic....but if you want to stay with wood, I might recomend black-dying some birds eye maple

GoodTurns

If you're making a real high-end pen with the dragon fittings, Bog Oak might be an option...tie in with dragon lore and all that.

jrc

Thanks everyone for the help. The bog oak sounds good too. I was wanting of a hard dence wood that I might get away with no CA finish. Just polish the wood and wax it.

eskimo

Gabon Ebony will meet the criteria of hard, dense and black, but I have found that my experience with Gabon Ebony is that it is subject to cracking after the pen is built. I seem to have found this to be a problem with many of the very hard, dense woods, such as Snakewood, Ebony and Lignum Vitae.

If you can use acrylic, it will give you a very classy looking pen. Although, I have found that I didn't really get a perfect finish without using my Beall 3 wheel buffer. Solid black acylic will show even the smallest of scratches.

Good luck & be sure and post a pic of your finished product.

Bob

GoodTurns

your best chance for non-ca is probably the blackwood. I use it for basting brushes, which I do not CA and it seems to hold a shine pretty well with just a Mylands finish. Bog Oak has a good chance, (in my few, feeble efforts) of getting splintery if you do not seal it up real well!

Jim,
Call Bob or Cynthia Jeffries in Knoxville 865 573 5876... they had a pretty good selection of some larger pieces of black wood.. it appeared to be very black.

I don't know if they will ship but think they do.. really nice people.

No affiliation with them, other than I get a lot of my wood from them.

fafow

Jim,

I have some ebony that I can send you. A while back Rockler was selling a bunch of ebony for $1 each and I got quite a few, so I have more than I need right now. I will go through what I have to get one that is black black. I made a pen for my son last month using this and you have to look real closely under good light to get any hint of any grain in it. It is absolutely black. I also have not had any problems with it splitting. If you are interested, pm me your mailing address and I'll get a couple out to you next week no charge.

fernhills

Hi,i just finished a black acrylic from fellow3 group buy and the black in that is just perfect,, Carl

2008314172245_Hpim0610.jpg

200831417239_Hpim0613.jpg

Jarheaded

I have some beautiful ebony logs that I bought from someone here and still have not cut into them. From what I can tell from the ends, they appear to be very black. If you are interested in some, I will cut into one and see what I have. For the dragon nibs, have you considered Karls dragonskin cactings?

Top Bottom