Need a belt for Grizzly lathe . . . . fast !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JGCIV

Can anyone tell me if I can get a new belt locally for my Grizzly lathe, or do I have to get it from Grizzly. I have a G5979 lathe, and the belt has the numbers "O-560" and "47" printed on them.

Of course its a holiday weekend, and I was in the process of applying finish to two pens I'm donating to my parents church auction being held on Friday in North Carolina. A two pen set made out of BOW. I was just getting ready to put the second coat of CA on, and SNAP! I'm in MD, and was hoping to ship them out on Tuesday morning so they would have them in time. Nothing like waiting until the last minute, eh ?

Now I have to find a replacement belt. If I can get one in time, I can still overnight the pens to them, but time is now of the essence. I would be grateful for any help you all can provide. I'm a bit of a novice, and have not had to replace a belt on the lathe yet. I'm just not sure how easy it will be to find.

I wasn't sure which forum in which to post this thread, so I apologize if its in the wrong place.

Thanks for any help you can give,

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Auto part stores also have "emergency" belts. They look like tank treads and you make it the length you need.

Probably would not hold up in a Reeves drive. What others said, NAPA, etc.
For long life, try to find commercial compressor drive belts. As in compressors for very large air conditioning units for factories and such.
Word of advice, they are not expensive. Always have an extra on hand.

shull

In the event you can't get the belt you might be able to complete the finish by chucking the mandrel in the drill press or even in a variable speed hand drill held in a vice.

good luck

Steve

MobilMan

NAPA has what is called an industrial belt. It's a GOOD belt. Made for the same as you need it. They have more nylon cords in them by far than the junk Checker & most of that sort sell. It'll last you as long as any belt made.

JGCIV

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was able to get a comparable sized belt at Pep Boys on Monday, and managed to get it installed with enough time to complete the application of the finish. I will sand and polish tonight, and get the pens in the mail with a 2-day delivery in time for the auction.

You all were life savers, for sure.

John

Top Bottom