Need assistance (quick)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaRed

I purchased the jr. imperial or emperor (can't remember which one off the top of my head) from CSUSA. Forgot to purchase bushings. I have a few bushings which are slightly smaller than the inside of the tube. As usual, this is a big rush. Any ideas on how to stabilize the blank while turning. I could turn between blanks but the dead center I have is not appropriate. If I put a few layers of tape on the bushings, would that keep the blank in round while I turn?

Any suggestions would help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

HSTurning

No idea if it would work but if it is for a single pen how about turning a wood dead center out od a piece of the hardest wood you hvae laying around. I only have maple scraps. I have a bunch of nice pen blanks but I wouldn't waste one of them.
just a thought. good luck

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Turn a set of bushings:eek::eek:

Use a 7mm tube and any material that doesn't move a lot-corian is great, plastic next, wood, not-so-much.

CaRed

No idea if it would work but if it is for a single pen how about turning a wood dead center out od a piece of the hardest wood you hvae laying around. I only have maple scraps. I have a bunch of nice pen blanks but I wouldn't waste one of them.
just a thought. good luck

I do have some oak I could turn a dead center out of. Hadn't considered that. Thanks for the idea. May give that a try if I can't come up with something better.

CaRed

Turn a set of bushings:eek::eek:

Use a 7mm tube and any material that doesn't move a lot-corian is great, plastic next, wood, not-so-much.

I think I have an excess piece of copper tubing and I know I have small waste pieces of trustone. I feel better with that than using oak as a dead center. I was afraid turning between centers would be a little harder since I would not know when the pieces were centered on the ends.

Thanks Ed

CaRed

Not only am I getting some good advice, but I may be leaving work early. Could it get any better than this?

HSTurning

I didnt even think about making bushings.
We all come up with a different solution to the same problems.
Sooner or later we will come to the quickest, safest and easiest solution.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I didnt even think about making bushings.
We all come up with a different solution to the same problems.
Sooner or later we will come to the quickest, safest and easiest solution.

This shows that you are smarter than I!!!

I have forgotten to order bushings, many times. Not to mention the bushings I have LOST in my shop. So, this is NOT a NEW problem, it's one I have solved MANY times.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
If the bushings that you have are only slightly loose you can make do with a layer of plumbers PTFE tape between the bushing and the tube, but that won't solve the outside diameter.

If you use tape, only use one layer and don't let the ends overlap or you will be slightly off centre. Rather use thicker tape.

Russianwolf

Gotta be a Jr. Emp as their isn't a Jr. Imp to my knowledge.

I use the Jr. Gent/Jr. Statesmen bushings for turning three last weekend. The thing you have to be careful of is that the lower barrel is the same diameter top to bottom while the gent is tapered. Use the larger bushing to turn one end, then switch it to the other and you come out fine.

CaRed

If the bushings that you have are only slightly loose you can make do with a layer of plumbers PTFE tape between the bushing and the tube, but that won't solve the outside diameter.

If you use tape, only use one layer and don't let the ends overlap or you will be slightly off centre. Rather use thicker tape.

I use calipers for outside diameter every time. I found out the hard way trusting a pair of bushings to be the same size as the kit. My bad. Won't happen again.

My concern was the overlapping issue with tape. I am hoping the electrical tape will do the deed.

I think I am more comfortable making the bushings with extra pieces of trustone. Haven't tried to make them yet. Hope I can get it right.

Thanks for the suggestions.

HSTurning

This shows that you are smarter than I!!!

I have forgotten to order bushings, many times. Not to mention the bushings I have LOST in my shop. So, this is NOT a NEW problem, it's one I have solved MANY times.

Back in the bag with the tag of what they are and then back in the sorting box. I only have one set of bushing sitting out sierra vista/ws3 and that is because I have no more kits of these right now. I put the bushing in the sorted box of parts for each kit style. If I don't have many of a kit I put the bushing in the bag with the kit on the top of the stack of kits that i have in small bins/boxes. It's and OCD thing I think.

CaRed

Gotta be a Jr. Emp as their isn't a Jr. Imp to my knowledge.

I use the Jr. Gent/Jr. Statesmen bushings for turning three last weekend. The thing you have to be careful of is that the lower barrel is the same diameter top to bottom while the gent is tapered. Use the larger bushing to turn one end, then switch it to the other and you come out fine.

I have been turning Baron's instead of Jr. Gents. Apparently the tubes are different sizes. They look so similar but I guess they aren't the same. I tried all my bushings but nothing worked just right. I few were close but not tight enough.

CaRed

Well, I got the pen done and I actually used two different methods suggested here. I used the tape on one set of bushings. I had to use 3 layers of tape so I put the seam in different spots for each layer. Worked like a charm. I also turned a set of bushings. Took me just as long to turn the bushings as it did to turn the barrel once the bushings were done. Well worth the effort. I liked the flexibility it gave me. I made the outside diameter of the bushings less than the outside diameter of the pen so I wouldn't have to worry about hitting the bushing while turning or sanding. All together a great learning experience.

Thanks for the great advice. Being a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) I seldom have to solve issues like this. I am used to solving problems but not with my hands. The solutions you guys gave seem obvious but not if you don't do it every day. That is why this forum is great.

Thanks again.

Oh yeah, the pen fetched me $105 for a birthday and assurances of a few more for Christmas.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Glad to see it worked for you.

That would be an "accountant price" (105). :):) I woulda had $95 or $120, those are "marketing prices".:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

CaRed

Glad to see it worked for you.

That would be an "accountant price" (105). :):) I woulda had $95 or $120, those are "marketing prices".:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Is there anything better than "marketing prices"? If I would have known that, I would have charged more. Darn.

Ed, you will be happy to know that I used the scraps from blanks I purchased from you to create the bushings. Another marketing opportunity? The blanks you sell are not only great for pens but also custom bushings. The accountant in me says screw it just buy the steel bushings and be done with it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Chris,

The accountant in you is ABSOLUTELY correct!!!

But, when you forget to do it, and the customer wants it NOW, the pragmatic marketing guy says, "I don't care HOW you get it done, just get it DONE!!!" So the innovative production guy makes bushings.

It takes a villa....... team..... to get it done!!!

Top Bottom