Need advice on other tools for turning,,stuff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

Hello, been a long while since I posted anything. Now that spring is here and I can get to my mini lathe, I am wanting to order some items to get into turning small bowls and containers and stuff like that in addition to my usuall pen turning. Can anyone recommend a small list of good tools to have to get me started. I currently have a basic set of pen turning tools, nothing big and thats about it. I plan to order a PSI Barracuda chuck and a Psi collet chuck within the next two weeks. Beyond those two items what else should I put on my list. Im not worried about money to much, if I need it I will buy it. Would like to make some bowls no bigger than about 10 in dia. and some lided containers. I know you guys can come up with a list 10 miles long but Im just looking for suggestions on good tools I would need to get me going in turning other stuff beyond pens, already have my chucks picked out. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Eberly

Equipment for "bigger" work

I'm a real newcomer too, so maybe my approach will be simple enough to help.

I find that the biggest challenge in making larger pieces is in holding the work and in keeping things in round when changing mounting - like going from centers to a chuck, etc. I am using a cheap chuck that requires each jaw to be adjusted separately. You're buying a better system, so your chucking issues may be less of a problem.

I have the best luck using a faceplate and doing as much work as possible without re-mounting the work. I'd recommend picking up a few faceplates - they are relatively cheap and offer good work holding as long as you can afford the waste from the screws.

I have a pretty inexpensive HSS tool set - typical Delta 7 piece that's intended for spindle turning - three gouges, round and pointed scraper, parting tool and one more that I forgot. Works OK, you'll also want some bowl gouges and probably a scraper tool and inserts for hollowing.

You'll need to address sharpening - My tools are lasting a lot longer since I quit trying to sharpen freehand. I made up a really simple guide out of square tubing, angle, and rod that hangs on hte wall and swings up when I need it. I turn a lot of beech which is murder on the tools when it's dry.

You'll need a more flexible rest than the standard straight iron ones when you get to hollowing. I bought one of the modular rest systems from Woodcraft - two curved rests and an interchangeable post. Pretty sturdy, but the post is too short and a really tight fit on my hardware.

Good luck!

LEAP

Jack,
I started out with a 1/2" bowl gouge and a couple scrapers one round nose and one square. Get nice thick scrapers. Turned a bunch of small bowls and lidded boxes with just those tools. I highly reccomend begging borrowing or stealing a few videos and doing some youtube searches on bowl, box turning. My initial attempts before watching the videos could be defined as bowls and boxes but the process and finished products were far from good. I especially liked the videos from Bill Grumbine and Richard Raffan and there are many other excellent ones out there.

Dario

Check the following

1/2" bowl gouge (check Crown Pro PM)
Grinding jig (similar to vari-grind...make or buy one)
grinder (preferably slow speed)
scraper (buy/make the thickest you can)
disc sander holder

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I have a pretty inexpensive HSS tool set - typical Delta 7 piece that's intended for spindle turning - three gouges, round and pointed scraper, parting tool and one more that I forgot. Works OK, you'll also want some bowl gouges and probably a scraper tool and inserts for hollowing.

If you've got the set I'm thinking of, they're not bad at all. The round nose,
square scraper and skew are decent tools. If you've got the spear scraper,
hold onto that. It's a gem.

Get a good roughing gouge, don't skimp on that. That can get you most
of the way there and then you can use other tools for finishing cuts.

A good grinder / sharpener is a must.

refueler1

If you've got the set I'm thinking of, they're not bad at all. The round nose,
square scraper and skew are decent tools. If you've got the spear scraper,
hold onto that. It's a gem.

Get a good roughing gouge, don't skimp on that. That can get you most
of the way there and then you can use other tools for finishing cuts.

A good grinder / sharpener is a must.

I have a variable speed grinder with a Wolverine jig for sharpening. All I need is some big turning tools besides my pen set. Do I need a spindel master or anything like that and what do they use to hollow out the inside of the bowls and lidded jars. Im not going to be turning anything bigger than my Jet mini can handle so I don't know if that will affect what size tools I buy.

John Eberly

Second reply - bowl tools

Of the tools that I have these are used the most -

3/4" roughing gouge
3/8" bowl gouge
Half round scraper
Parting tool

The next tool I will buy is a carbide scraper tool to use on hollowing side walls of bowls.

themartaman

If you get the baracuda chuck get one that will accept all the jaws they have. I have a supernova that I have been using for years on my nova 3000. Just bought adapter to use it on midi lathe. Working on a vaccuum chuck to finish bowl bottoms.

Top Bottom