Need advice on Cigar Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alzey

I just received my first non-7mm/non-Cross refill kits in the mail. They are 3 different platings (chrome, gun metal, and satin pearl) of Cigar kits from Wood-N-Whimsies. I have read the library article about tube length and made around 40 slim lines and other 7mm kits.

I was wondering what other advice you great folks would have for me tuning these kits?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

Check the order of the bushings, Check the order of the bushings, Check the order of the bushings,
and don't make the mistake I made several times over by getting the bushings in the wrong order.
P.S. Check the order of the bushings

andrewleeheck

+1 on keeping track of the tubes carefully. I keep a lot of extra cigar tubes on hand, and for a brief period of time I was baffled by my (growing) disproportionate number of the smaller tubes. Evidently I had been quite oblivious to the extra-long cigars I'd been turning out lately...(What?! They're all 10mm, that's all that matters, right???)

76winger

While turning, be sure of the top and bottom parts, since they're different lengths. Been there, done that, still getting around to fixing it. :confused:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
For any other "new guys" who don't know it, I have a tutorial I will email you. FREE

Pictorial of the Cigar Pen--from blank to finished pen--some tricks I used in making several hundred over a decade or so.

PM me your email address and I will send it as an attachment.

Ed

I agree with everyone, but what they haven't told you is write it and highlight it on the directions and put a note in the bushing baggy. I hadn't made a Cigar pen in a year and couldn't figure out what my notations meant on the directions until I pulled out the calipers. I would have known if I had put a note in with the bushings.

cwolfs69

Check the order of the bushings, Check the order of the bushings, Check the order of the bushings,
and don't make the mistake I made several times over by getting the bushings in the wrong order.
P.S. Check the order of the bushings

do not forget to check the order of the bushings.

cigars are my favorite pens though, and one of my best sellers by far. good luck with your first.

Last edited:

bensoelberg

The mantra that I repeat every time I make a cigar is "small, small, long - big, big, short." For some reason, it helps me to know that the smaller side of the double ended center bushing is on one side of the long tube with the smaller of the end bushings on the other end and vice versa. Hopefully that makes sense.

okiebugg

squaring

I learned the hard way that squaring the tubes is very important. If you use a mechanical or drill press square, just barely kiss the brass. Deviation in the length of the tubes is a bummer. It's easier to keep track of if you use a disk sander

sbell111

The mantra that I repeat every time I make a cigar is "small, small, long - big, big, short." For some reason, it helps me to know that the smaller side of the double ended center bushing is on one side of the long tube with the smaller of the end bushings on the other end and vice versa. Hopefully that makes sense.
My cigar mantra is big-big-little-little, with the short tube on the left and have a double bushing for the center, so my mantra merely reminds me that of the two single bushings, the big one is on the left and the larger half of the center bushing goes to the left.

Of course, this is memory exercise is mostly meaningless for me as my process is to check the instructions every time I set a pen up to be turned.

I learned the hard way that squaring the tubes is very important. If you use a mechanical or drill press square, just barely kiss the brass. Deviation in the length of the tubes is a bummer. It's easier to keep track of if you use a disk sander
My advice to all is to just barely touch the brass when making every kit. However, I don't much worry about this too much with the cigar kit as it is super easy to adjust the amount that the refill extends when I lock down the transmission during assembly.

Last edited:

sbell111

I mentioned that it is kind of a big deal for me to reference the instructions when setting up a pen to be turned. That actually reminded me of a problem that I have with CSUSA's cigar assembly instructions. (This may be true with other companies' instructions, I just use CSUSA's for this kit.)

The cigar kit's tip, trim ring, and tip coupler all come preassembled. The instructions do not discuss disassembling these during pen assembly and step one of the assembly instructions directs you to press the 'tip' into the tube. When I did this on the very first cigar pen that I assembled, The thin metal of the tip piece bent; crumpled, actually.

I now dissassemble the tip assembly prior to pressing the coupler into the tube.

seamus7227

in reference to the brass tubes being trimmed too short, there is always the backup method of trimming the twist mechanism a little bit shorter to make up the difference if your lower barrel is too short. I think the most i have taken off is around a 1/16" and everything still worked fine. But with that being said, it is best that you use some sort of chuck(I use the Beall) in the lathe in order to insure that it is squared properly. Just my thoughts anyway, DAMHIKT

cwolfs69

i actually do my finish trimming just before final polishing. i initially leave the blank about .010 heavy on each end. do all of my turning, sanding and polishing on the lathe. then just prior to polish and finish i use the appropriate barrel trimmer, which i keep very sharp, and trim to exact length by hand. i am usually within. 003-.005 from drawing dimensions. i have even deviated from some drawings due to refill stick out when finished.
works great and ends a perfectly square.

Sent from my Galaxi via forerunner

keithbyrd

After ensuring the bushings are in the right order I use a metal engraver and mark the busing 1, 2, 3, 4 or actual ., .., ..., ....

PTsideshow

After ensuring the bushings are in the right order I use a metal engraver and mark the busing 1, 2, 3, 4 or actual ., .., ..., ....

Along with that tip I will add as a new penturner, looking over the instructions for the kits that I have purchased, with the instructions for all the items that come with all the lovely tools to turn.
I have a 3" 3-ring binder with the plastic page pockets, tab dividers. That I have printed out the instruction sheets for assorted parts and findings for turning projects. Keeping it all in one place, some in the plastic pockets for the instructions that I will be using. Easier to keep them clean and take them in and out of the binder.
Also most have room for drawings and notes about bushings and other tricks, tips and tutorials. Like with Ed's one on the Cigar kits. Great stuff!
:clown:

Top Bottom