need advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

I want to make a pen for my boss's retirement present. I have grown to like the Stateman Pen kit in Rhodium/Black Titanium from CSUSA but I am not sure of the blank. I want a really nice burl blank and have considered Amboyna. Do you have any other suggestions for a blank? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Any burl blank that has nice figure will WOW them. Amboyna, can't go wrong there.

Personally I'm distinctly partial to thuya burl if it has a lot of nice, tight eyes in it. The reddish brown color goes well with a rhodium/black ti combo.

That being said, I just got an order from Nolan of some DI burl, rosewood burl, and mallee burl that looks sweeeeet! [:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]

Here is the pic from his site of the rosewood burl. My order looks just that nice. I can't say enough about his stuff. The color of this wood is perfect for a black ti/rhod statesman. A nice, heavy, hard burl.

BTW I'm just a happy customer, nothing more.

http://www.harrisburlsupply.com
rosewoodblankst-01.jpg

mrcook4570

Find out what his interests are and make something that connects with those interests. For example, if he is religious, use BOW. If he plays guitars, use koa. If he is into history, use IBO or kauri. Pick a material from his favorite travel destination. And so on.

IPD_Mrs

Another option is redwood burl. Like the mango and the koa it is lightweight and helps to keep the weight down on a pen. This is particularly good when dealing with the full size pens.

Mike

M

monkeynutz

Black ash burl is one of my faves... Not the easiest to get, but always works nicely and looks stunning when finished.

JohnU

I would email n4631 (Nolan) and ask him what he had to pick from. It wont be an easy task narrowing it down, but you will get a blank of a life time!

Top Bottom