need advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack barnes

I took some of my pens to work with me and one of the vps looked at them and suggested that I make one for the vp in charge of our sales
and marketing, have his name engraved on it, give it to him and explain that I can make them for his accounts and have them engraved with anything he likes. We have sales over 40 million a year, sure would be a nice little bussiness for me. Now the question what kit and wood would sould I use?
Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Why not ask the Sales VP?

Get some catalogs, and make yourself a scrapbook of each pen style. Also get a wood sample sheet from same catalogs and let him choose. In the mean time bring a finished sample also.

Be prepared to name your price (or write it down on your scrapbook).

Good luck!!!

Jerryconn

I think a lot of the answer lies in other questions.
a)What type of clientele does your business have? Are they corporate higher-ups or are they managers of construction companies for instance.
b)What are past/present gift giving habits/budget of your company and the VP?
c)Would these be for a select group of the accounts or for all of them?
I suggestion would be to have one to present to him appropiate to his position (say a Rhodium Jr Gent FP with BEB blank)and then have examples of several price ranges so he can decide what would be the best fit for his clientele and budget. Just my $.02 worth. [;)]

rpasto92

My choice would be a Euro (Designer if you are a PSI guy) with something that will take a nice engraving without the need to color fill (perhaps curly maple). The Euro pens are not expensive kits and are a good size for most people to use (not too thin, not too fat, not too heavy, you get the point). Try to keep your costs as low as you can because from my experience, if they are looking for a promotional item to give away, they are not looking for $40-$50 pens. I think you will have more luck going to your HR director and pitching your pens as executive gifts.

ilikewood

Be careful....what if he says "We need 2000 by the end of the month". Make sure you indicate that they are special and should be reserved for those special clients.

GBusardo

Jack,
You got real good advice so far. Is there any danger in giving too many choices? Good luck and maybe you will get that 2000 pen order! With luck, you can have them done by Christmas!!! Can you say duplicator?
Gary

alamocdc

At the very least, I would go to a Baron with better plating (Rhodium or Ti). If you look at his office, you should get an idea of his tastes. This should be able to steer you to wood or synthetic. Either way, I'd go with something on the darker side. But that's just me.

JimQ

Another point to remember is that a company can not "legally" deduct more than $25 per client per year from income taxes. Anything over that is a nondeductable expense, and upper management frowns on spending money they can't deduct. I had a similar offer to make about 50 pens, but they wanted to max out at that $25 figure for better platings on Euro's and Cigar's.

JimQ

jack barnes

thanks for all the advice. I don't and never would want a 2000 pen order, just would like to have enough orders to pay for this habit.
I will take all the advice and let you know how it worked out.
Jack

Kaspar

I'm hoping to find a gig like that myself.

I have done a couple of pens for a "celebrity" pundit, and in fact, I'm starting on two more for her in a week or so. They were just birthday presents mind you never know where one might end up and somebody with some serious pocket change decides I've just got to have more of THOSE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom