Need to add a Teal Accent to a wood blank.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Duckmeister

I recently turned a pen for a friend who lost her mother to brain cancer. Since Grey is the standard color for Brain Cancer Awareness, I searched and found a Dyed Spalted Tiger Oak blank which combined with the PSI Clear Crystals Cancer Awareness Kit yielded a very meaningful token of art.

I am now faced with a similar situation, this time for Ovarian Cancer (for which the accepted color is Teal and am having a hard time putting it together. I do not turn acrylics or other synthetic materials, confining my efforts totally to wood.

I welcome all suggestions from the group that might help me find the 'right' combination for this special project, keeping in mind that this is just not 'another pen', but one that has sentiment and a purpose. My envisionment is using a wood like Tiger Oak but embedding a band or ribbon of teal colored material into the length of it.

All insight will be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LouCee

Bear Tooth Woods has an acrylic teal blank you could use for segmenting.

Bear Tooth Woods - Teal Tango Acrylic Pen Blank

Not sure if this would work for you but Lazerlinez has cancer awareness ribbon inlay kits for Elegant Sierra available in several colors. I bought a teal one and made it for my wife a few years ago, she is an ovarian cancer survivor. I don't know if they currently have teal in stock.

Lazerlinez: 3/8" Flag Kit, Pen Inlay Kits

KenV

John

Barry Gross at Arizona Silhouette sells stabilized dyed wood blanks labeled turquoise. Turquoise is a variant on teal. There are several wood choices and his curly popular is very striking.

TonyL

Let me know if you want some teal or close to teal cut-offs (less than 2 inches) for free of course.

plantman

PearlEx has a powder called Sky Blue that is about as close as your going to get to teal without using some sort of tint coloring. Jim S

plantman

Thank you all for your input and insight. Going bug-eyed watching postings to You Tube on segmenting. When mixing wood and acrylics, what is the best glue to use?

I use thick or gap filling CA with an activator so you can start your turning right away. Jim S

Duckmeister

Group: Thank you for all your insight and help on this project, but I have encountered another dilemma; so here it is...
So far I have made Cancer Awareness Pens as tokens of remembrance, using the PSI Kits with Clear Crystals, and the have been well accepted. However, I have never made a pen for a person who actually has cancer (in this case, both Breast and Ovarian Cancer) and am a quite a bit displaced by it. In my mind set, fueled by losing one of my sons to cancer, the standard PSI-BCA kit doesn't cut it and would not be well received. I was thinking along the line of the PSI-Princess Kit w/Clear Crystals against a Olivewood blank containing two rings, one pink and one teal. From your experiences and your backgrounds, I again solicit your input and thank you in advance for your help, remembering that this is 'not just another pen'.

Top Bottom