Need a 0.9mm click pencil--- anyone make one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I have a friend and a very good customer that wants a 0.9mm click pencil, like the Pentel pencils you can get at Staples.

Note that he does NOT want a 0.7, and he *already* has one of the huge 5.6mm sketch pencils (which, yes, I made for him:D). And I dogmatically refuse to make the PSI "Power Pencil" 2mm because they are trashy and don't work right (3 out of the 3 I have made were crap sticks).

He gave me a 0.9 Pentel, which I may be able to modify by sanding the plastic housing down and gluing into a wood blank, but there are a few snags I can't quite dream up a solution to (I will try to take pics and post soon, maybe you all can help me with some idears).

Anyhow, if anyone has ever retro-fitted a 0.9 into one of our common pencil kits, I would love some help!!

Thank'yuns!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I don't recall ever seeing a kit pencil in the 0.9mm size.

Making wooden barrels for Pentel type pencils is not too difficult and there is at least one tutorial in the IAP library. Don Ward is a master at this type of project and, I'm sure, he would be glad to offer advice if you get into trouble.

Not sure why you are "sanding" the plastic. With most Pentels, the metal tip unscrews and you can remove the pencil mechanism from the plastic barrel.

Good luck and have fun!!

bitshird

I've been wondering about this too, as I rember seeing on the Yahoo group there is a step drill needed, several guys over there have been trying to get the drills, one tried MSC, a machinist supply, but they were out of the correct size and didn't seem keen on ordering any more, I have a couple of the .9MM pencils they come apart easy enough, just un screw the nib and they're apart.
If our CMM at work wasn't damaged, I could get an EXACT size (within 5 decimal places)of the holes in the nib, other than that I dont think they are much different than the Schmidt pencil kits.
Ken Ferrell

Randy_

The original commercial technique was to use a step drill from CSUSA; but they were sort of expensive. I think folks were doing the Pentel "conversion" long before Don Ward wrote his tutorial; but he was the first to make the alternative method(no step drill required) well known to the general pencrafting community.

And yes, for those who would prefer to use a step drill, Don has posted that he is in the process of making them available again. In fact, I think he is already taking orders.

redfishsc

Randy and Ken, thanks for the info. I was not aware of Don's work. Then again I'm not known for being all that observant[B)]. That's why I have you guys!

Randy, as far as "sanding" the Pentel casing, it is because it is hexagonal and I'd also like to remove a bit of the thickness of the plastic.

Randy_

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />.....Randy, as far as "sanding" the Pentel casing, it is because it is hexagonal and I'd also like to remove a bit of the thickness of the plastic.

Just throw the plastic away and use the "guts."

I believe the Pentel Pencil you want is the "SHARP" model. The .5mm, .7mm, & .9mm transmisions are all interchangeable if I remember correctly. The nib threads to the transmission, the pencil barrel is tensioned between the nib and a step/shoulder or flare in the transmission. That is why you need a step-drill.

I have the article/write-up by Clay Jones if you want. Just PM me.

Chuck Key

I talked to one of the owner/reps from W L Fuller Inc at the Richmond WoodWorks woodworking show last weekend. They are able to make custom step drills at what seemed to be a fairly reasonable price although one would need to contact them for exact details. The rep did say that grinding step drill is a routine part of their business.

Chuckie

Randy_

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />.....They are able to make custom step drills at what seemed to be a fairly reasonable price although one would need to contact them for exact details......

Please give us a ballpark figure, Chuck. Don was going to have them available for somewhere between $20 and $30; but I don't remember the exact figure?

I think most of us would prefer to deal with IAP members whenever possible. OTOH, Don may prefer not to fool with the logistics of making drills available if there is another economical and high quality source available.

Chuck Key

For ballpark numbers use twice the value of the drill bit selected at least that is the number that was tossed at me when I asked about a bit that was priced at a little over $11.00. It would depend on the profile specified, the quality of the bit selected, tolarances desired in the length and diameter of the step, quantity ordered and other factors I may not be thinking about.

Chuckie

Randy_

Chuck: Please clarify one more thing for me. Are you saying the final cost would be $11 or $11 times 2?

And a question for Don. Was the CSUSA bit a one step or a two step drill bit? In looking at your tutorial, it appears that three different diameters are required to do the Pentel project. And also, is the drill bit you are proposing to supply a one step or a two step bit. Thanks.

redfishsc

OK, my customer wants this pentel .9mm so bad he is willing to pay whatever, so I am willing to buy the step drill. Who has it? Randy-- which Don were you referring to?

gwilki

Red
I used the Don Ward instructions and made my own drill for nothing. (I had an old 5/32 around that I didn't mind cutting in half. It means that you need to be more precise in drilling the 1/4" hole, but other than that, it works like a charm.

Randy_

<br />OK, my customer wants this pentel .9mm so bad he is willing to pay whatever, so I am willing to buy the step drill. Who has it? Randy-- which Don were you referring to?

This is a kidnapping!! I'll tell you what you want to knows after you post a translation of your signature line!!!

redfishsc

Originally posted by Randy_
This is a kidnapping!! I'll tell you what you want to knows after you post a translation of your signature line!!!

[8D][8D][8D]
Why I'm glad you asked. My signature is the original language (Koine Greek) for the words of Christ, recorded in John 14:6. And yes, I can read that....well....most of it[:D]

Originally said by Jesus Christ
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." (NASB translation)

Randy_

<br />OK, my customer wants this pentel .9mm so bad he is willing to pay whatever, so I am willing to buy the step drill. Who has it? Randy-- which Don were you referring to?

The Don I am talking about is Don Ward (Wichita Don) and known locally as "its_virgil". You can view his tutorial in the IAP library and make up your own tools to avoid the need of a step drill or you can email him through IAP and see where he stands on selling step drills.....haven't seen him talk about it recently.

Don's Pentel Tutorial

The other option is to contact the folks at the link below and talk to them about making up a step drill for you.

Stepdrill Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom