Nav Cap issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I searched the forums and did not see this issue. One of the VIPs here at work had previously bought a Nav RB pen from somewhere. Its a nice segmented pen but the cap no longer posts on the end or the top. It almost seems like the threads on the body aren't meeting up with the threads in the cap. Like the cap threads are too far up in there for them to reach. I plan to take the cap apart tonight and look at it further. My thoughts were to trim off some of the CB part to make the threaded coupler closer to the cb and therefore allowing the other threads to reach and allow it to post again. My first real test will be to see if the threaded coupler is stripped. Before I take this pen apart has anyone had a similar issue before? Will be interesting to be trying to fix a pen I had nothing to do with.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I have seen it both ways, the threads stripped out to the point they will not engage, and also the black nylon insert simply pushed up into the cap far enough it will not start. You might be able to use some sort of tool to pull the insert back down into it's niche inside the centerband and tight to the step on the outside of the insert, but I suspect you you would probably damage the top edge enough to cause it to touch the nib assy and scratch it. I would just bite the bullet and disassemble the cap altogether, inspect the threads and if it is just pushed up, secure the insert inside the centerband assy with a little ca. If the bottom few threads are indead damaged, you may be able to salvage it by shortening the top of the centerband assy and the bottom of the insert, but it might not be easy to make the threads reengage smoothly. I would consider sacrificing a 10k kit to replace the threaded insert a reasonable cost of repair if the pen is nice enough that the owner has hunted down somebody to attempt it.

Last edited:

toddlajoie

Yea, my first guess is the threads have just gotten pushed up, as there is really nothing other than friction to keep them in place, so if the tube is a bit loose or it was pushed together when it was not threaded all the way closed, the threads can push quite a ways in. This should be obvious if you look in the open end of the cap, you'll see if the threads don't start till they are 1/2 inch in or so. Best bet for disassembly is to get a punch that fits easily through the opening and use that to knock the cap and clip off, then get a punch that is AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the inside diameter of the tube (I have the $9 punch kit from HF and it works great for these things...) and use that to pop out the thread insert and cap center band. A few drops of locktite when you re-assemble (or CA if you aren't worried about having to take it apart again. but if you use CA, you need to assemble quickly, as even Med or Thick will lock it rather quickly...) will keep the threads from moving easily.

Mark

I had a similar issue with a Majestic Jr. After punching out the cap assembly with a 10mm rod, I used the barrel trimming sleeve to press the plastic insert back down to the CB.

While open, I dripped two drops of med CA on top of the plastic insert, to hold it in place. two rows of threads had already been stripped, but that gave me enough to catch the remaining threads and post the cap.

I think I remember in a past thread, where someone recommended cutting off the top 1/3 of the insert. However, my searching hasn't found that post, so I'm not certain about that. Still looking.

ToddMR

Was a 2 minute fix. I got the cap apart and sure enough the plastic thread insert had slipped up away from the CB. I used Thin CA and glued it back into the CB and let it set over night. I put it all back together and its all fixed now. Never worked on a Navigator before, but was no problem. I figured the glue would keep the issue from happening again. He somehow acquired the pen with the cap issue already. The threads all seemed to be in good shape. If anything it helps strengthen my pen skills with him lol. Thanks for all the help everyone!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Overnight is probably NOT long enough for the CA to cure.

Be careful, keep the pen open for a couple days, so you don't get "white crud" on the plating. ESPECIALLY if you're in a humid area.

Parson

So what is the actual time for CA to fully cure? It must also have something to do with the thickness of the stuff and if it's rubberized or not, huh?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Using it to repair pens, I have gotten "white crud" three days later. (After being open for two days)

I now use epoxy to repair pens.

ldb2000

It might cure quicker but it will still out gas for days or longer . CA is not a good thing to use around plated metals . The other problem is that insert is Delrin and CA don't stick to Delrin .

ToddMR

Thanks for all the info. From what some others have told me I should be ok since it was chrome. I guess I never thought twice about all this since I use CA to glue my tubes in and use it to finish the pens with all kinds of platings and assemble the same day. Something I will remember for the future though. Might need to snag some locktite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom