Nautical pen assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

Recently I pressed fitted the top of a nautical pen on to the completed barrel. The wood pressed into the raised compass on the top and pressed it down flat (metal must be soft). Is there a way to press the raised metal compass without damaging it? Thanks Darrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

Pictures of nautical top. Darrell

Attachments

• DSC_0314.jpg
    DSC_0314.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC_0315.jpg
    DSC_0315.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 259

Mortalis

Why am I not seeing the issue in these pictures?
I've made a few of these and never have I had one collapse upon assembly.
Either your pictures dont do justice to the damage or I'm just not seeing it.

If the top is collapsed, I would think you could make a simple jig with a drill point deep enough to be able to use a flat end of a transfer punch and with light taps of a smallish hammer from the underside with the top of the cap nestled in the jig and be able to reverse the damage.

mecompco

Well, I don't think it looks bad that way. I suppose one could go at it gingerly with a hammer and punch and see if the metal will move.

Regards,
Michael

scotian12

Thank you for your replies. That is a new top. What was crushed was the small point on top of the compass....not major damage but enough for me to notice. I will try a collar around the top and press it in with the sides of the top bearing the weight. Thanks Darrell

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Thank you for your replies. That is a new top. What was crushed was the small point on top of the compass....not major damage but enough for me to notice. I will try a collar around the top and press it in with the sides of the top bearing the weight. Thanks Darrell
I got a pen blank turned and finished for a nautical kit so I will turn a wooden collar that will avoid putting any pressure on the small point or even the compass rose. I'll make the ID so that it bears on the outside rim of the cap. Thanks for posting this. It will save me from marring the pen kit.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I got a pen blank turned and finished for a nautical kit so I will turn a wooden collar that will avoid putting any pressure on the small point or even the compass rose. I'll make the ID so that it bears on the outside rim of the cap. Thanks for posting this. It will save me from marring the pen kit.

This may be a minor thread for a select few, but what Darrell and Ernie discussed and posted is a great benefit! I have purchased several of these kits for family - on my "to do" list and I very much appreciate the suggestions. A problem avoided is very nice!

Thanks to you both.

Dale Allen

I actually think it was probably not crushed and is just a case of a crappy casting. Here is mine and yours side by side.
What I see is a continuation of the ball and ridges and no apparent sign of deformation, just a bad die cast and a poorly made mold.
Seems to me that if the ball top had been crushed into the rest of the casting it would immediately fall off.
But then my eyesight is not what it used to be!:biggrin:

Attachments

• naut_top.jpg
    naut_top.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 143

scotian12

In the beginning I made two of the nautical pens and I felt both were crushed by me using a wooden block in my drill press. Her is a picture of the crushed cap. It does not have the raised pointed star like my cap in post #2 shows. Today I have made 4 more but will use a collar to press the cap into the barrel. Thanks Darrell

Attachments

• DSC_0321.jpg
    DSC_0321.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 174

Mortalis

Ok, I can see the damage on this last picture. That is not the same cap as the first pics.
That looks like a defective molding. I would contact PennStateInd and send them the pic in an email.

Last edited:
Top Bottom