Naturally Indigo wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BurlGuy54321

In short, I'm trying to make a pen for all 7 colors of the visible light spectrum... so far I got:
RED: Bloodwood
ORANGE: Brazilwood (AKA Pernambuco)
YELLOW: Yellowheart
GREEN: Argentine Lignum Vitae
BLUE: Blue Pine (AKA Denim Pine)
INDIGO: ?
VIOLET: Camatillo (AKA Mexican Kingwood)

See the problem? I don't know any woods that are indigo. I want to know of a wood that's indigo through it's natural color or at least natural causes. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I'll second the purpleheart .... depending on how much UV exposure or oxidation you give the blank during the finishing stages, the color can range from a salmon pink (fresh cut) to a very deep dark black with hints of purple that flash vibrantly only under bright light.

Oh ... almost forgot!

Poplar can be an interesting choice for both green and purple ... I have no idea for the how and why, but I ran across a piece of poplar at the local hardware store with a pretty violet color streaking through it.

I turned and finished a section of it with this pretty light purple, hoping it might darken a little more and deepen a bit, but it stayed relatively light. I'll have to dig that piece out and take a picture of it sometime.

Last edited:

BurlGuy54321

Purpleheart.

Unfortunatlley, this is indigo... and i dont think purpleheart can be shades(ish) of blue
2048x1536-indigo-solid-color-background.jpg

Chasper

Mineral poplar, if you sort through enough poplar you will come across some that is in the indigo family, generally on the darker side of indigo.

Top Bottom