Native Country...Asian Myrtlewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlh

Can anyone tell me what country Asian Myrtlewood is a native of? I am trying to find out for a customer. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:D:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

In searching, the only Myrtlwood that I could find is on the west coast of the US and to some extent a different species in the "holy land" area.

Dario

Check BigRob...I think he sells some and may have some ideas about it.

Like Mikey, I only know of those from Oregon and Israel.

wudwrkr

I got a bunch fo this from Rob also. I haven't turned one yet and haven't found much about it.

Richard, have you turned a pen yet with it? How does it look?

rlh

Yes, I have turned a pen but I sent it out to have it laser engraved. I will post picture a picture of it when I get it back. IMHO it looks very nice. It turns without problem and takes a nice finish. Thanks for asking. [:)][:)]
Originally posted by wudwrkr
<br />I got a bunch fo this from Rob also. I haven't turned one yet and haven't found much about it.

Richard, have you turned a pen yet with it? How does it look?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Asian myrtlewood is better known as Tasmanian myrtlewood. There are many excellent sources of both the wood and pictures accessible by searching the internet.

wudwrkr

Ok, I did some searching and the best I could come up with is this may be Tasmainian Rose Myrtle. I was unable to find anything relevant on Tasmainian Myrtlewood. The species name is Nothofagus cunninghamii and looks to have similar characteristics to the blanks that I have.

<b>General Characteristics:</b> Heartwood varies from pale pinkish brown to reddish brown bright cherry red; sapwood often wide, light brown. Texture mostly fine and uniform Rauli has a tendency to ring porosity; without distinctive odor or taste; grain is straight; luster low to medium.

It looks like some of this wood can come highly figured and in different shades of color, but the pieces I have don't have much figuring. The trees are mainly grown in Tasmainia and New Zeland and is part of the beech family.

That's about all I could come up with. I'm sure there is more out there, but I'm tired of looking [:0].

rlh

Thanks DC. Judging from pictures I came across during my search I have come to believe that the blanks that I have are Tasmanian Myrtlewood sapwood, in which case it is a native wood of Tasmania, Australia. I am going to go with that. [:)]
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Asian myrtlewood is better known as Tasmanian myrtlewood. There are many excellent sources of both the wood and pictures accessible by searching the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom