Name that wood ... Name that toy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Would anybody want to hazard a guess what kind of wood is used in the center of this pen? (not the ebony band but the segmented portion)

Does anybody remember what this toy is?

Have fun! :laugh:

Attachments

• pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 427
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

Sure, it is a Captain Scarlet's Spectrum Pursit Vehicle model. I think they were made by Dinky Toys that later became Corgi out of England.

Corgi had an office in the US for a while. However, with the fall of diecast they closed their office. Corgi, Franklin Mint, Code 3 Collectibles, and TWH Collectibles all have either gone out of business or greatly reduced their production. It seems Matchbox, remains the leader.

Last edited:

Krash

Sure, it is a Captain Scarlet's Spectrum Pursit Vehicle model. I think they were made by Dinky Toys that later became Corgi out of England.

Corgi had an office in the US for a while. However, with the fall of diecast they closed their office. Corgi, Franklin Mint, Code 3 Collectibles, and TWH Collectibles all have either gone out of business or greatly reduced their production. It seems Matchbox, remains the leader.

Correct! We have a winner!

Ogg

I had a few pieces of Goncalo Alves that looked similar to the wood in the center...Could that possibly be it?

Krash

No correct answers yet.

I am going to make a whole pen out of it soon. Maybe that will help.

Clue: I found it on the ground in my back yard. A lot of people put it in their yards, at least around these parts!

Ogg

Not too familar with the woods native to New Mexico, but how about some sort of Desert Ironwood then. Looked at a few pictures, but it seems like there is a huge variant between colors and grain types.

Cmiles1985

Not too familar with the woods native to New Mexico, but how about some sort of Desert Ironwood then. Looked at a few pictures, but it seems like there is a huge variant between colors and grain types.

Funny you mention that. DIW was going to be my first stab at it, but I chose to go with tiger oak for some reason.

Krash

African Mahogany mostly
Wenge center band
and the shield part around the center band looks like something cast.

I guess the main wood could be african mahogany. It was from an old antique shelf that I always that was walnut.

The band is ebony.

The shield part is not cast and is part of a tree.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mimosa or Redbud?
Hey, if there's no prize involved, that's my only guess. ;-)

No prize but maybe you'll have a unique new source of material!

Now that I know what it is -- I have a few pieces of landscape bark that I picked up at Queen Victoria Park by Niagara Falls last summer that I thought I might try to make a pen from. Now I gotta go find it & give it a go.

Thanks
Edgar

Krash

Mimosa or Redbud?
Hey, if there's no prize involved, that's my only guess. ;-)

No prize but maybe you'll have a unique new source of material!

Now that I know what it is -- I have a few pieces of landscape bark that I picked up at Queen Victoria Park by Niagara Falls last summer that I thought I might try to make a pen from. Now I gotta go find it & give it a go.

Thanks
Edgar

It makes a beautiful pen Edgar! Soft, for sure, and it take a little stabilization with CA during the process, but the results are stunning. Every time I go out to the yard, I keep my eyes open for a nice, thick piece with unique grain.

Have fun!

Top Bottom