Name this wood---More pics added

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Here are the only hints I have.

Harder than a woodpeckers lips.
Very VERY heavy---it is dry.
It is so hard that I had to use a bimetal band to saw it.
Comes from Asia
Wood is wiped with BLO.

I am sawing it down into blanks.
Thanks

200521623853_RWood2.jpg

200521623934_RWood3.jpg

Here are 10 blanks --I still think Asian Ebony Crotch is a good call on these. I am added this pic just to make sure we are right.

200521713237_EWood1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Can't say for sure without seeing a blank or two [:D] but I'd bet it's Asian Ebony, probably a crotch piece. Coloring, weight and density are about right...FYI, Asian ebony is 50% more dense than African ebony!

Gary Max

I was able to get 22 blanks out of this.
I do not know if I can get a pen built today but I will post a couple of pics of the blanks.
Lou---I am thinking on the same lines as you are.
The friend that I got this from came up with some asian Box Elder Burl last month---real wild stuff. He cut it for me and got it a little small.
I thanked him and told him that it would be less work for him if he would let me saw it.
I am real glad the I had the Bimetal blade or I would of burnt up a wood blade---real quick.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I think I would do better if you sent a piece to me and then I could figure it out. Just remember it should be at leat 3/4x3/4x6"......[;)]

Woodscavenger, your an artist. I consider myself a good 'wood scrounger' but you definitately are world class youself. I'm a little evnvious. Although, recently, I haven't done too badly. Between scrounging and resawing and trading and selling, my pen blank inventory has gone from about 300 to nearly 2000.
Now, I need to start making more pens.

opfoto

Frank...
I am not sure if everyone else can sense the pressure you are under to turn some pens with all those blanks you have. [:(] But ... I would be willing to take a few off your hands to help you! [B)] Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. After all thats why we are here...[:D] right everyone???

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Gary,

Trying to help you out here...

...you can send a couple of those blanks this way and include a couple pair of woodpecker lips...just so I turn and compare for you
[:D][}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom