I really appreciate the help.

We've been racking our brains...

Attachments

• IMG_20121128_200129_943.jpg
    IMG_20121128_200129_943.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nativewooder

You know, not meaning to be critical, but you could buy your pen blanks from IAP vendors or from members, who know the name of every piece of wood they sell!!! Except me! I've bought so much wood that the ink wore off the wood!:eek::biggrin:

NotURMailman

I usually do, but the price was hard to beat. 100 blanks for less than $50 including shipping. And if I mess them up (since I'm new at this) I won't care! I didn't think any one would be bothered by me asking for some help when I wasn't quite sure. My apologies.

monophoto

Don't think it's oak.

Is the grain open or closed? It's hard to tell from the picture - it almost looks like cherry, but I would need to touch it to know for sure.

OOPS

Based upon what I have seen and been told, there are two types of Tulipwood. Blank #4 certainly looks like Brazilian Tulipwood, which is generally a light colored wood with bright reddish grain lines running through it. The other type of Tulipwood grows in the eastern U.S. It can either be light or dark, but is more "creamy" in texture (if that's an appropriate description.) Because the rest of the group has the well defined reddish grain lines, I would say that its all Brazilian Tulipwood. Personally I have not seen any that is this dark before, so perhaps another with more experience can chime in. One thing I can say is that Tulipwood makes great pens, IMHO.

plantman

:confused::confused: I agree that #4 may be Dalbergia frutescens. From the Family Leguminosae. Brazilian Tulipwood. The grain is usually interlocked and irregular because of it's twisted growth. I have a photo of a pen in my photos to compare. I think the rest, except maybe #3, are Machaerium villosum. Also of the Family Leguminosae. Jacaranda Pardo, also known as Pau Ferro. This tree is also found in Brazil. The tree is related to the Rosewoods and shares many of the characteristics of Dalbergia nigra. Brazilian Rosewood. It looks like Brazilian Rosewood in it's appearance, with the heartwood typically striped with various shades of golden brown, red-brown, and violet-brown. The grain tends to be straight but is sometimes gently curving. It is used as a substitute for rosewood in the making of musical instruments, furniture, cabinets, cutlery handles, and is sliced for veneer for marquetry. Thats my guess, and I stand behind it. WAY behind it !!! Look in the wood data base for more details. I'm baseing my guess on known woods I have on hand, in hand. Jim S

Top Bottom