Mystery Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wudwrkr

Since we had such a lively discussion last week with some one else's mystery wood, I thought I would post one of my own. I had picked up this board many years ago because of the spalting. I had no use for it until I started doing some turning, but have no clue what kind it is.

Here are a couple of pictures. I put a coat of poly on part of it to see how it looks with a finish. As you can see there is a large area of sapwood.

20061823201_spalted.jpg

200618232113_spalted1.jpg

200618232158_spalted2.jpg

Here's a closeup of the grain looking straight down on the board.
200618232257_closeup.jpg

Thanks for your input!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Send it to me for a complete analysis. I'll provide a complete written report along with photographs of the finished products. [:D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by PatLawson
<br />Spalted Hackberry!

Pat

Laguna Beach, CA
http://PensByPatricia.com/NewPens

Hi Pat. I clicked the link on your new pens, and I don't care what you have said in the past, you ARE an artist!!! Whenever I need inspiration, I check your work and hope I can approach it some day. I particularly love your work with the Olympia kit. I have never done it, but will likely add it to my repertoire.

wudwrkr

You all are quick! Thanks for the ID. I haven't worked with this yet, but I couldn't pass up all that spalting when I saw it oh those many years ago.

Once I make some blanks out of it, do you think I should have it stablized or should it turn ok with out it? Not sure what that sapwood will do.

Thanks again!!

PatLawson

&gt;Whenever I need inspiration, I check your work and hope I can approach it some day.&lt;

William,
You are very kind. Thank you for the nice compliments. I was sorry to hear about your recent health problems and hope that you are recovering very quickly from your surgery!
Take good care of yourself - you don't want to lose any more good shop time than you have to! [:)]

&gt;Once I make some blanks out of it, do you think I should have it stablized or should it turn ok with out it? &lt;
Dave,
It will probably turn okay with 3 or 4 applications of thin CA as you turn, but in my experience it will be easier and a nicer finished product if you have it stabilized.

Pat

wudwrkr

Pat, Thanks for the advice. I think I will have it stablized. Now I just have to figure out how to cut it up! I'm going to try for some half heartwood, half sapwood blanks. I think those will be nice.

I also agree with William, your work is an inspiration! [:)]

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't know how wide your piece is, if you have enough width, try cross cutting some half blanks before you send them off for stabilizing

wudwrkr

Bill, once I get this cut up, I'll let you know. Unfortunately, I probably won't get to it until next month. I'm sure I will have enough to do some tradin'[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom