Mystery burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I was just given this. It has been hanging on someone's wall for 30 years. It is very light weight for it's size. Any guesses as to what wood it is? The cut piece looks like birdseye maple.

IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

Given it's light weight after drying, the light colored wood and the small tight eyes close to the surface I'm thinking that it is some type of maple burl.

Have fun...looks like a bowl to me

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
to me, the cap looks sorta like brown mallee, but the blanks remind
me of myrtle burl. But I don't have a lot of experience with burls

Hosspen

The wood looks like maple and the burl looks like maple burl to me. I'm sure there is probably someone on here who has a piece that looks just like it? I'm not sure about the lightweightness but if it's been "hanging out" on the wall for 30 years it's plenty dry I'd say. It will make some beautiful pens!

Jeff Barnett

I would guess maple burl as well. It looks just like a cap I have. It is very light in weight. Take a small piece to a sander and rough it up a bit then smell it and see if it smells like maple syrup. I find that it can be worked with unstabilized if you take your time and leave plenty of wood for sanding. I leave enough so I can start with 100 grit and work my way up to a nice smooth surface.

Top Bottom