mystery blank help please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Looks like it could be a couple of things... It's obviously curly. Could be redwood(American or Brazilian), Pink ivory, or a number or others.

mick

It looks identical to some I've got labeled curly rose myrtle. I'm not sure where I got it or if what's written on it is correct but hey that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Jmhoff10500

Hey! That looks Familiar!:biggrin: I went to look at my other blank i have like that and it didn't have a name either... If you want another one for another closed end pen, Im not going to use the other one i have.

dow

It looks an awfully lot like massaranduba, or Brazilian redwood. I've got a pen that I made from a piece of it, and it turns nicely. Unfortunately, the flame seems to go away as you finish it. What started out as a beautiful piece of flame wood turned into a nondescript reddish pen.

On the other hand, it makes GREAT decking :biggrin:

RAdams

Banned
Whatever it is, it is pretty light for it's size. I think i will call it GOATWOOD!

(Got On A Trade WOOD)

I could see it losing the curl... It is curly on two adjoining sides instead of opposite sides.

Jonathan: Are you sure you dont want to hang on to it until after i post my closed end walkthru? It might be a good practice piece if it loses all it's character after being turned. But if you absolutely dont want it, you can send it to me...

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
This blank is perfect for a closed end pen but i really want to know what it is before i turn it into a pen. Any ideas??
Hi Ron; I think you will find this wood is Curly Makore!

Not attempting to hi-jack your thread. The pen on the left of this group was turned from Curly Makore.

attachment.jpg

I have a small chunk left over if you would like to see a pic of it.

Attachments

• 358, 359, 360, 361, 362 (Small).jpg
    358, 359, 360, 361, 362 (Small).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 216

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi again Ron; Here's a couple of shots of my Curly Makore.

attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• Curly Makore 005 (Small).jpg
    Curly Makore 005 (Small).jpg
    12 KB · Views: 200
  • Curly Makore 006 (Small).jpg
    Curly Makore 006 (Small).jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 202

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Whatever it is, it is pretty light for it's size. I think i will call it GOATWOOD!

(Got On A Trade WOOD)

I could see it losing the curl... It is curly on two adjoining sides instead of opposite sides.

Jonathan: Are you sure you dont want to hang on to it until after i post my closed end walkthru? It might be a good practice piece if it loses all it's character after being turned. But if you absolutely dont want it, you can send it to me...
It could also be Wonder Wood....................I wonder what kinda wood it is.

RAdams

Banned
High silica content?? I dunno what that is.

It is a bit heavier than I first thought. But i dont know how hard it is, or what the silica levels are... Or how to test em.

RAdams

Banned
thanks everyone for the input.

I have pretty much given up on identifying this thing. I think i will use it for my closed end tutorial that i am gonna write. That way if it is ugly on the inside i still get something out of it!

mick

Ron, did you buy it off eBay? As I posted earlier it looks just like some curly rose myrtle I bought awhile back. I've turned several pens from it and it kept it's curl. I've got one here now and If I can convince Connie to snap a picture I'll post it to the thread.

RAdams

Banned
No, i got it from a blank trade. I just finished turning it. It did indeed keep the curl, but not as strong as what was on the surface.

The grain is kinda weird. There are small wavy lines going down the length of the blank. Looks kinda like Osage, or Ipe or something similar. Fairly hard.

As soon as i figure out how to post my tutorial, everybody will get a chance to see the finished product!

Top Bottom