myrtle wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravo

What is it with this stuff. I get close to final diameter and it just kinda falls apart. Anyone with experience with myrtle wood please help!

[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

I'm not sure what your problem is. I turn myrtlewood all the time and have never had a problem. I know there is at least one in my album here. Are you maybe having problems with the glue-up? What glue are you using?

ravo

It is not burl. Just regular that I got from someone on ebay from Oregon. It is kinda angle cut. I used thick CA glue. I glued up a couple more with poly that I will try tomorrow. Thanks.

darbytee

Ray, give some more details and you'll get more specific help. Are you using a scraper, a roughing gouge, a skew? Where does it "kind of fall apart" at? On the ends, in the middle, the whole piece?

ravo

I been turning about a year and half, so I do know a little about turning. Only started with pens recently. I do not use a scraper. I normally use the skew. Yes, I know how to use it. I also tryed a small gouge. Yes, they are sharp. Problem begins on the ends. I try to give you the details you want. Anything else? Thanks again!

darbytee

Ray, Here's my advice (worth exactly what you're paying for it). Use polyurethane glue for your glue up. Use the skew and take it down to about 1/8" from your desired diameter. Run a thin bead of thin CA over all 4 edges, then use grit gouge sandpaper (I usually start with 100) and sand down to size. I hope this helps.

ilikewood

Sorry Ray...off line there for a day or two.

Woods that want to fall apart...solution. Turn a little bit then THIN CA the wood and dry. Turn a little bit then THIN CA the wood again and dry. Do this over and over until you are down to where you want to be. Thin CA will soak into the wood allowing it to stabilize the wood a little ways into it. I have turned spongelike wood like this with excellent results. Not hard, but time consuming.

ravo

Bill, How do you keep from gluing everything together on the mandrel or do you have to take it all apart everytime you use the CA? I did finally get one turned. Of the 2 that I used poly glue on last night, I ruined the first one and got the 2nd one done. I just took things very very very slow. Very small increments taken off at a time. It does look purdy! Thanks for the help! I guess I learn slow. Ruined 3 to get 1. PS: Bill, Did you get my email? Thanks

woodscavenger

If I am worried about gluing the bushing to the blank I use a drop or two of BLO on a paper towel and coat the end of the blank and the bushing. I have never had one stick that a little pressure wouldn't pop apart. I have never damaged a blank or bushing yet.

Daniel

Puta coat of wax on the bushings and mandrel keeps the glue from sticking. now filling the gaps and wedging things on is anouther matter so still be careful

ilikewood

Please Ray!! Only put CA on the wood![:D] Just kidding. Ditto what Daniel said. It is the easiest way without the headaches.

PS - I did get your e-mail but only tonight as my browser blocked your mail with an attachment. Should have a response there at your place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom