My Wet Sanding Set Up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johncrane

A few good points for Wet Sanding. it's Dust Free! and saves on my Energy Bills, i don't have to use my Compressor to constantly clean the Micro Mesh,The blanks stay cool,and the Micro Mesh lasts longer, Here is my Set up
I made a table to fit tight between the lathe bed rails, Using a plastic chopping board with 2 strips cut and screwed to it to hold it firm so it will not tip if bumped (no accident water spillage) i use a small plastic container for water, A Rubber Spraypainters rubbing block cut down to hold Micro Mesh flat, i made a small shelf above the lathe to hold Micro Mesh in order.Last photo of my New Fav tool Rick's Offset Sanding Jig.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1352.JPG
    1-IMG_1352.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 330
  • 2-IMG_1353.JPG
    2-IMG_1353.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 3-IMG_1354.JPG
    3-IMG_1354.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 321
  • 4-IMG_1355.JPG
    4-IMG_1355.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 5-IMG_1358.JPG
    5-IMG_1358.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 6-IMG_1359.JPG
    6-IMG_1359.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 7-IMG_1349.JPG
    7-IMG_1349.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

Here's my wet sanding setup:

1) A shop towel over the rails
2) A bottle of water

I don't know what that jig is for. My method is jigless.

ossaguy

That's a nice setup. Really organized,and keeps the bed from rusting,great idea!

I gotta get one of those offset jigs,that's a brilliant invention.

Steve

sbell111

Here's my wet sanding setup:

1) A shop towel over the rails
2) A bottle of water

I don't know what that jig is for. My method is jigless.

So you hold a bottle of water over lathe and micro mesh, jig for wet sanding keeps the dust down.

I never use micromesh with plastic blanks as it is not needed with my method.

I don't hold a bottle of water over the lathe, either. I'm not sure why that would be advisable. I merely wet the sanding medium and then sand with it. No dust is created.

Still don't get what the jig is for.

boof910

Very neat set-up. I use something similar but just stack my micromesh in order beside the water container. Works well until you knock them into the dust under the lathe! Recovery, cleaning and putting back in order usually involves a bit of colourful language and fighting off the dog!

johncrane

Very neat set-up. I use something similar but just stack my micromesh in order beside the water container. Works well until you knock them into the dust under the lathe! Recovery, cleaning and putting back in order usually involves a bit of colourful language and fighting off the dog!
cheers boof
i know the feeling well with dropping things :wink:

walshjp17

Rick's new jig (offset sanding jig) allows you to use pretty much all of the sand paper, not just the little bit at the center. Saves sanding paper.

BSea

That's a great idea to keep the ways from getting wet. Better than the method I use now. I think I'll be making one of those soon. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom