My version of the Pen Vise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skordog

Hi All,

I am pretty new to this forum but thought I would add my 2 cents worth and show you what I came up with for a pen vise. I started out using a hinged block like I had seen in Bill Baumbeck's video but it just didn't work for me. And I couldn't see spending $50 - $100 for a commercial pen vise. So being an amateur woodworker with some decent equipment I set about building my own version out of things I had in the shop.

20053235359_Pen%20vise%201.jpg

Basically it is a piece of plywood with two T-Tracks glued down inside of it. Then there is a large solid block of wood glued to the back end and another block that slides along the tracks using T-Bolts and some knobs. The familiar triangle cuts hold the pen blank as shown in the next picture.

20053235610_Pen%20vise%206.jpg

It is very quick to tighten and untighten and works well for me.

The final problem I had to overcome was how to prevent blowout along the bottom of the blank. To take care of this I simply cut scrap hardboard into small squares which I place under the blank before tightening down the vise. I keep a stock of them in a cup on the drill press. I cut a small rabbet along the bottom edge of the movable block so the hardboard pieces would not interfere with clamping.

20053235931_Pen%20vise%205.jpg

After drilling it's a simple matter of tipping the vise over into the trash to get rid of the shavings and drilled out hardboard piece. And it's ready for the next blank.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Very clever setup. I can't imagine how you can go wrong with that...and you have more than a few bucks left over for more pen kits!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Nice set up,very elaborate.
BeaustifuL workmanship.
As far as blowing out the bottoms,I've found I don't have a problem with it.I never use anything for backing up the exit hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom