My try at segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allisnut

This is acrylic ivory & acrylic ebony, I think... Maybe ivory & black plastic. The materials were given to me. I am reasonably pleased so far, but there are still light scratches I need to get out. I also need to put a few coats of CA on it to keep the aluminum from oxidizing.

This will be on a chrome Vertex click, if I get it finished to my satisfaction.

Comments welcome,

Adam

DSCN2062.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I think your segmenting and color choices are spot on. I don't know what sandpapers and grits you are using, but changing to a better sandpaper made HUGE bounds for me in getting though issues with scratches like it appears your having. (Buffing helps a ton too, but unless the picture or my eye is deceiving, I think your scratches are in the sandpaper grit range, not buffing or micro mesh range).

allisnut

I sanded with 240, 320, and 600, then wet MM through 12,000. I'll start over with the MM tomorrow and see if I can get the rest of the scratches out & do the CA. If I'm lucky, the Ca will fill the scratches and make them disappear.

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:
very nice job. Maybe you are trying too hard. Try 400 wet, wet 800, 1200 wet, end each step sanding length wise, then beal buff or car polish on a paper towel at hight speed, thats all I do and works so well.

Last edited:

allisnut

Oops, I forgot to mention, I did use Hut plastic polish as my last step. I started with 240 grit to do the final shaping. I haven't gotten the touch for acrylics quite yet, and had some chatter marks and chips to work out.

allisnut

Very cool!

What did you use for the aluminum?

Not quite sure what you mean, so I'll answer two ways... the aluminum came from a worn out yard stick (now a 32" stick!), and I polished it just like I dod the acrylic. No special steps taken on it so far. I will have to do a CA finish to keep the aluminum from tarnishing.

Adam

Top Bottom