My thoughts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I stopped buying drill bits with kits. Use either twist or brad point bits from index set to drill blanks. Do measure pen tubes and drill bits before use. Thank you Eagle!
I have slowed down my drilling procedure at drill press. I make sure blank is square in vise and with drill bit, using a 6" pocket combination square. Use a machinist vice to hold blanks. I only drill about 1/8 to 3/16" before clearing chips. While one hand operates drill press lever other hand holds shop-vac nozzle while drilling. Get less bit wander regardless if drilling wood or acrylic. No, not every hole drilled in blanks perfectly centered still close.

Lessons learned do not force drill bit into material, just let bit do the cutting. Chip clearing as you go good opt. Think those lessons apply whether using a drill press or lathe to drill blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Totally agree with your methods. Even though I've got a bench top press, it does work great with careful tune up. After blowing a few blanks, I slowed down my drilling and clear more often. I love drilling on the lathe but takes longer.

IPD_Mrs

Wildman the other trick Eagle would do is use the air compressor and blow into the vein of the bit as he drilled. He would do this most often when drilling on the lathe and on his beautiful creations to prevent heat build up and blow outs. It makes clean up a little more work but we have yet to have a problem drilling this way. Eagle was also very frugal and used inexpensive drill bits that he would sharpen in his Drill Doctor. He swore by them. (actually he just swore) :wink: We never took his enthusiasm for cheap bits as we were afraid of getting warped or crooked bits, but we do follow the sharpening practice. A member on hear did a group by on Norseman bits several years ago. We still use the same bits from that buy and are pleased as punch with them.

Wildman

Arizonasilhouette has norseman bits on sale.

I am sorry did not buy a set Dewalt Pilot Point bits from Lowes when they only cost $60 bucks. That set now cost $100+.

I survive on brad points and twist drills with either 118 or 135 degrees. If the index was a gift they are cheap if I bought them paid too much! Will never use parabolic bits again!

Top Bottom