my second lesson on Acrylic pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fxst00

Well my first lesson I have yet to use. (its on finishing ) I haven't got that far yet. I blew out the bottom of two blanks trying to drill them out. Now I'm guessing but I think it was because I was using a brad point bit. I only have two blanks left and I picked them up to make pens for my mother. (she really likes purple) and I didn't want those to be my first one I made, I wanted to practice on a few before I made hers.

So any other advice on Acrylics pen turning would be appreciated. Learning all these lessons first hand can be expensive.
Thanks
Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

twoofakind

When I drill my acrylics, I don't drill all the way through. Cut them with enough room to drill for your tubes then go back and cut to the proper length. Some people also put a piece wood under the blank to drill into, but I have yet to try it that way.
Andy

drayman

hi jeff, you have to go slow with your drilling on acrylics, or better still, cut your blanks longer. and when you think you are nearly at the end go even slooowwwer. ok.[;)]

rherrell

Cut your blanks a little long and only drill the length of the tube. Then cut off the excess. As far as finishing I MM to 4000 then buff. Nothing to it. Keep working and you'll get it.

WOW I type slow!! When I started there were NO replies and by the time I finished there were TWO! Never took typing in school.

Mikey

BAck the blank up with a scrap block of wood as well. Really helps keep the blank in place with minimal clamp pressure plus it stops blowouts sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom