MY REASON FOR A DUPLICATOR!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc53

Hi GUYS,

Here's an additional reason why I asked that question. Since I have NO experience in turning at all, I was figuring that with a duplicator, I would be able to cut those more difficult contour/profile pieces/pens.

But I guess I have to exercise patience and learn the basics. However, trust me, if my learning curve is too slow…Look Out, a duplicator would be on my wish list!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Tony,

In my opinion, if you get a duplicator, YOU will not learn to make the curves and contours you desire. Get some cheap boards, rip them, and turn between centers to practice your skills. Trust me, and don't ask me how I know this, a nice piece of burl is not the place to learn how to use a skew!

As a rough comparison, if you want to learn to paint, you don't use a color copier rather than a paintbrush.

No offense intended, I hope none was taken.

Wrong reason.

You should learn how to turn first. I can turn a pen faster and better than any duplicator.

The only reason you need a duplicaor if you are turning hundreds of pens out and need an exact match for each pen.

arioux

Hi Tony,

I too am a starting turner and beleive me, there is no better feeling than the first piece of wood that you will finish with beads and curve and any other fancy thing that you will have created with your hand. I did scrap a lot of wood (round 1 inch dowels are great for that). I'm not even ready to post my first picture but it's coming. Go thru the forum, look at the photos, pick one with smooth curve and just try to make a replica on your dowel. After a while, you will start to have your hown style. And then, the day that you will finish your first real pen and that you will give it to someone that will say ''wow !! you did this yourself'', you will go running back to your lathe and do like me, hooked for life !!!!

Somewhere in this forum i read : Craft is made with your hand, art is made with you heart. If your goal is commercial than a duplicator will do the job. (that last centence is from me :))

Hope that this will helped you extend your learning curve, give yoursewlf time and have fun.

Alfred

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Wrong reason.

You should learn how to turn first. I can turn a pen faster and better than any duplicator.

The only reason you need a duplicaor if you are turning hundreds of pens out and need an exact match for each pen.

Some of the examples coming of the lasers and cnc machines look pretty nice.

Chuckie

Tom McMillan

I at one time owned a duplicator---it sat in the box and was never used so I sold it. Now, I wish I had it, because it would be easier to turn an even blank for the lower layer of my 2 layer pens. But, now I've got lots of practice making them---but, I still will consider it in the future just for that benefit.

GregD

For what it's worth, here is my .02 cents. There is nothing wrong with using a duplicator. However, a person should learn the basics first. I've got several projects I want to do that a duplicator is the only way to go.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I also don't knock using a duplicator, and if you decide you want one, post your desire here. I have one I would sell, and I imagine there are several others that would do likewise.

wayneis

Its my understanding that if you are going to use a duplicator you still need to learn to turn by hand because you need a patern which is something that is not avaliable. I can see where one would come in handy for a couple of things and I may even consider purchasing one if the price was right but, I would never give up turning pens by hand. Turning is the fun part of creating the pens and pencils, after all the sanding and finishing isn't to much fun to me at least.

Wayne

arioux

you need a patern which is something that is not avaliable

FYI, precut template are available at most craft store. PSI has them for almost all pen kits as well as keyring and perfume applicator,with 2 or 3 different shapes for each one.

Alfred

woodscavenger

Do whatever you want. If you want to be a true woodturner and experience the artistic and sometimes frustrating side then learn to turn freehand. If you want to crank out a bunch of similar pens to sell or make sets then go for it. No one with knock you.

woodbutcher

Dupllcators are simply tools. They are not artists. You can however become one. If your goal is a cookie cutter type pen, a duplicator will suffice. You are the true instrument to success in your shop. Listen to these fellow pen turners, in my opinion they are some of the best in the country, perhaps in all the world. Good luck,

Jim[:)]

CPDesigns

I guess I would use the analogy of a restaurant. If what you want is a quick something cheap to satisfy an empty belly, McDonald's will do just fine. You get the same thing every time and you're not expecting an epicurian delight. Everything's the same, the quality is what it is, and it's cheap. There's nothing wrong with it, as long as you understand that's why it's what it is. You don't go to McDonald's looking for a chef with three Michelin stars. If that's what you want you go find Alain Ducasse. If you want a modestly interesting piece of wood that resembles a pen, a duplicator will suffice. You'll be able to crank out a large number of pens and keep your overhead (and thus retail prices) very low. But you'll be hardpressed to consider it much in the way of art (but then, there are those who positively DESPISE the lable of "artist"). On the other end there's someone like Richard Kleinhenz, who has made some of the most unbelievable pieces of art in the shape of a pen anywhere in the world. The Mona Lisa didn't come off of a Xerox![:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
There are times when I think it might be nice, but from what I understand the more you turn with a duplicator the more time you will spend sanding as they do not do very fine detail work.
I'll take a sharp skew any day and start sanding if necessary at 320.
(edit in)
I had no experience with a lathe prior to Fathers day 2004.I am not a member of any Woodturning club, never bought or have seen a video and am entirely self taught other than what I have read here and there really isn't much about the mechanics of turning on the net.
At least not what I can understand.
Not quite sure I am using the skew as most do but am satified with the resluts.
There is a good reason they named the gouge the name they gave it as far as I am concerned.

CPDesigns

Eagle,

You may not be using the skew "correctly" but just from what I've seen of your laminations you could shave the hairs off a fly's &lt;ahem&gt; posterior and not give him razor burn.[:)] Given your eye for detail I think that skew's in good hands.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by CPDesigns
<br />Eagle,

&lt;I think that skew's in good hands.&gt;
yellowwink.gif

Tonyc53

Hi Guys!

I mean...what can I say? I'm simply overwhelmed! [:0]

These answers are a “Mennen Skin Bracer†slap in the face or was it an “Aqua Velva†slap? [B)]

So...THANKS...I NEEDED THAT!!!

Anyway your point is well taken; an “Artist†is what I want to be and an “Artist†is what I shall be!!!

You guy’s “Pen Craftsmanship†are simply awesome, simply awesome!! And to Eagle I say…if what you say about yourself is true…of being “Self-Taught†and all, I can’t wait to experiment on some wood. [:D]

I've been "nosing" around your album and we gats to talk about those “corncob†and “ fabric†pens! This gave me an idea! However, if its no secret, would someone please tell me how it’s done? I think I know but just want to be sure! BUT HEY...I COULD BE WRONG TOOOOOO![;)]

Many thanks again Guys for your solid input![8][8D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom