My New Plan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Well..here is my plan for this weekend.

I'm going to go to woodcraft and purchase a Rikon for $329.

I'm also going to order a pen turning mandrel, as well as order some bottle stoppers from Ruth Niles.

I picked up some 1"x8 tpi nuts from Menards last night that I'm going to epoxy to some wood to make extra face plates for some turkey pot calls I want to make for my turkey hunting buddies. The season closes soon, but hopefully I'll have them done before the season is over. If not they become birthday and christmas gifts.

But...before that can happen, I have a dilemma.

Our house has an attached garage that has been converted into a room. Currently it houses my computer, our laundry room (separated by wall and door), and all my other junk. My wife calls this the man room. I have debated back and forth about putting up another wall and door to subdivide the room further and turn that part into my wood turning shop. It would end up somewhere around 12x10 or so.

It's either that or convert my shed into a shop, which would take even more time and money because I'd have to run electric out to it.

Now, I plan on purchasing a mini dust collector from either PSI or harbor freight, and upgrading the bag.

Will this keep most of the dust from turning and sanding from entering the house?

I was also thinking about ducting it outside somehow or having a fan blowing out that would create negative pressure and wouldn't push anything into the house. But I don't want it to mess up the HVAC system.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated on this matter. I'm thinking that the coverted garage would be the way to go over the shed, especially due to the added cost, and the weather factor, but if the dust is going to be a super issue then I'll seriously look at the shed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

No need to put up a wall, though you will need to separate the wood from the computer. Dust and shavings travel. Far.

A few nails in the ceiling joists (if they're exposed) and a tarp with eyelets will make a great quick wall. I helped a friend do that to partition off a bay in his 3 car garage (yes, I'm jealous) so we could paint his car without getting paint everywhere. Some cheap HF spring clamps to hold the tarps together and bricks to weight the bottom and voila! A paint booth!

jleiwig

No need to put up a wall, though you will need to separate the wood from the computer. Dust and shavings travel. Far.

A few nails in the ceiling joists (if they're exposed) and a tarp with eyelets will make a great quick wall. I helped a friend do that to partition off a bay in his 3 car garage (yes, I'm jealous) so we could paint his car without getting paint everywhere. Some cheap HF spring clamps to hold the tarps together and bricks to weight the bottom and voila! A paint booth!

With the wife it's all about appearances. Dust and shavings everywhere would go over better than a tarp stuck to the ceiling. :embarrassed:

dennisg

I don't have the flyer in front of me right now but our Woodcraft has a sale on Jet and another brand at 20% off one weekend in May. That may cause the Jet to be a better buy. Your mileage may vary.

RichB

You will love the Rikon. I have had mine for about a year with no problems. The best thing going is it is easy to change the belt and if you should ever break it you can replace it without pulling a shaft or pulleys. Have fun!!!!! Rich

jleiwig

You will love the Rikon. I have had mine for about a year with no problems. The best thing going is it is easy to change the belt and if you should ever break it you can replace it without pulling a shaft or pulleys. Have fun!!!!! Rich

Thanks for the help. I'm excited to go pick one up. Now if the guy at woodcraft lied to me about having 5 in stock when I make the hour drive up there, I'm going to go ballistic! :mad:

I just wish my local woodcraft was better at stocking stuff.

Of course all my plans could be for naught if this guy doesn't show up to buy a tool I have for sale like he said he was!

Top Bottom