My New Favorite Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi,

Years ago I went from the drill press to my lathe for drilling blanks for my pens. I had long tired of drill bits breaking through the sides of expense blanks and with a Talon equipped with spigot jaws I had found a better process.

Over years of drilling like this I found I could minimize waste, drill dead centre and control my depth with great accuracy. The only problem I have had with the Talon has been some cracking on the blanks, usually with larger diameter pens.

The root cause for most of these blanks cracking has been a combined factor of thin walls in the drilled blank and that the pressure of the spigot jaws are directly on the face of the blank.

PSI has recently come out with a new pen chuck for drilling on the lathe. It grips the edge of the blank, not the face, the applied pressure is across the strength of the drilled blank, not the thinned weaker face.

CSCPENCHK.jpg

I decided to try it out, I bought the chuck late last year and have turned over 60 pens year to date, I am sold on this tool. If you are thinking about buying it, I'd go for it.

Just my thoughts and wanted to share with you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi,

Years ago I went from the drill press to my lathe for drilling blanks for my pens. I had long tired of drill bits breaking through the sides of expense blanks and with a Talon equipped with spigot jaws I had found a better
Will this work on a shopsmith? It has to have a set screw in it...

Check the web site, mine fits 1" 8tpi

Rick_G

I saw that a while ago Jim and wondered about it. Nice to get a good report on it from somebody I know is not being paid by PSI. May pick one up with my next order.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Since I already had their Barracuda Chuck I bought the jaws to fit the chuck. It is a cheaper route to go if you have the chuck. Gives the same results. It's all I use and it is great. Well worth my investment. I agree with Jim.

worknhard

I recently saw this chuck in the PSI catalog... Since I drill most of my blanks on the lathe I was wondering how well the chuck performed. From your review it sounds pretty good. Thanks for the report Jim.

livertrans

Since I already had their Barracuda Chuck I bought the jaws to fit the chuck. It is a cheaper route to go if you have the chuck. Gives the same results. It's all I use and it is great. Well worth my investment. I agree with Jim.

I purchased the jaws for my barracuda when they first came out. They work so good that I can't remember the last time I used my drill press and have not had a blow out when drilling.

Last edited:

livertrans

Mike, take a look at most any site that sells chucks and you'll find a 5/8' smooth shank to a 1" 8tpi adapter, you'll then be able to use about any chuck ... here's one at Penn State
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/L5818.html
Thanks for that. One more question: How do I mount the drillbit in the tailstock??

Use a drill chuck. Here is an example from PSI. Shop around you may find one cheaper.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TM32.html

Papo

yep, yep, I just order mine..Was looking at it for a while but did not know how well it would work. Thanks for the review

Be Bless

neubee

I received a pen chuck for Christmas and I love it. It is well made and works well for the purpose it was designed to do, thus pen blank size material. I would buy it again if mine ever broke.

MAB11

I've had one for a while now and love it. Be careful though, the tommy bars that come with it will break off if too much pressure is applied. (speaking from my own experience)

Luckily a new set can be made using a couple of 5/32 drill bits.

Top Bottom