My New Best Friend (Tool)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting along in years and being prone to get tendonitis
easily, I've been looking for a way to do the sanding, especially with the grain, that doesn't leave my arm and wrist aching. I looked for a very small ROS, with something like 1.5" disks. No luck at all. Then I remembered getting one of these for contours on the furniture I build:
00911633000-dlv.jpg

For that purpose, it was useless so I had forgotten about having it.
I dug it out a few days ago, stuck a 320 grit on 1 pad, 600 on another and 1000 on the third.
Over the last few days I have used it on about a dozen pens, and folks, I am in pen sanding heaven. I don't sand with the lathe running anymore. I use the 320 pad lengthwise, then rotate the sander to the 600, then 1000, turning the lathe slowly by hand. I finish with the upper MM grades and the surface is like a mirror.
To get the finer grits of paper you have to buy an accessory kit.
Perhaps not for everyone, but for me it works.
ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mainebowlman

That's thinking outside of the box (or the "bowl").

I saw that unit in Sears and never made the connection to use three different grits like that for pens.

Kudos on a great "MacGyver" idea...minus the duct tape.

Jack (in the Mud)

Chuck C

Wow, never thought of that. I have one that I was using for contours on some small stuff (not pens) but I burned it out leaning on it to much (not likely with pens). Sears replaced it under warrantee and I put it in the drawer. I'll have to get it out again. It is a nice size for the hand. Its called a 3-D Sander Sears part number 911633.

Thanks Ken

Thumbs

Great idea! I have problems with my hands sometimes. That could help take some pressure off! Great idea, huh, bad hands, make pens! Now ya know why "THEY" call me Thumbs. I have fun anyway! What's the price range on something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom