My kid could be your next competition

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skordog

I've been around, just haven't posted in quite a while. But I had to share this with you. My son, 16, has been making pens right alongside of me since we got the lathe at Christmas time. While I have given away about 45 pens he has sold about 20 of them for around $20-$25 apiece in addition to giving away some here and there.

Well about 4 days ago the father of one of his friends contacts him and asks if he could make 15 pens for him. He was going to give them away as part of a business engagement, (he's a salesman), and he said the company is paying for it so charge a fair price.

So we ordered some extra kits and had them sent out 2-day mail, and my son busted his but to get 15 nice looking pens done in a few days. Combination of maple burl, rosewood, walnut, and a couple of other woods. He charged $40 apiece for a cool take of $600. Not too shabby for a kid his age.

And he stands to get an even bigger order from my sister-in-law who sells Arbonne, (kind of like Avon), because every year she buys gifts for all the people that work under her in that pyramid scheme.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arehrlich

I'm in the same boat. My 17 year old has been making pens along side of me for the past few months. He does a great job. He brought a streamline fountain pen into school and one of his teachers ordered two on the spot - at a cool $70 each. He delivered them only to have another teacher by two more - again at the going rate of $70 each. She told him that her husband was going to bring his into his office - so he should stock up supplies.

First, isn't it great to have something so constructive to work on together with your teenager? Second, this is a hobby/craft-business that could hold them in good stead throughout their lives.

I think it's just great! Congrats.

Alan

Skordog

Yeah, it's great to see a kid enjoy creating something that people truly enjoy. Not too shabby that they're willing to pay for it as well. [:D]

He has always enjoyed building things and shows some great creativity, even in his pen making. Definitely surpassed me in a hurry. I tend to be more conservative with my pen shapes whereas he is willing to try out different things.

Fangar

Actually, you are the one getting rich off your son! By providing him with the tools and encouragement needed, you become, "wealthy", having taught your son to succeed not only in pen making, but as a lesson in life. I can tell by his photo in your album that he shows a great interest. You should congratulate yourself, as I am sure you have your son so many times. Congratulation, Great Job.

James

youngturner

Glad to see some other guys around my age into penturning. I haven't come across any over here in Australia yet but i'm sure there are a few around. It's a real rewarding hobby especially when you sell the pens for top $$ to your teachers

Mark[:p]

Daniel

Congrats, and I am very happy to see the great prices being charged. sets up in there mind that there creativity and talent has a value, a good value at that. I didn't get incouraged along those lines when I was younger and still struggle with it. one of my first lessons was a house I painted for $4,000. when I finished the owner told me the next closest bid to mine was $16,000. I still havn't really gotten it. I just repaired a broken water line yesterday for $300. the other folks that looked at it wanted $650.
Not to mention all the other lessons they will learn.

alamocdc

Skordog and Alan, congrats to the both of you! I wish I had gotten into this while both of my sons were still at home.[:(] It's a great experience and life lesson for them (even girls). Not to mention the bonding between the two of you. Sorry to get all sappy, but as the father of five (all gone now, youngest in the Marines) all I can do is look back and wish. I'm a little envious.

Bob A

This amazes me. I have three teenaged sons that between them have turned a total of three pens. There is no interest whatsoever in turning for them.

I will show them this thread and maybe, hopefully it will encourage them. It won't be the father/son relationship thing that will get them. Money though seems to get their attention.[:D]

Congratulations Skordog! I wish I started penturning when my sons were still young. [:(] It would have been a great experience for them. But wait --- the grandkids are almost old enough to learn. Just a few more years. Ahh - a second chance at it [:D]

Skordog

Nice to see all the comments from everyone. Yeah, I think it's a great lesson in life as well, and it sure does beat paper route money. For this last job I figured he was averaging $20 - $25 per hour.

For those of you with kids, definitely encourage them to try turning a few pens. They will either swell with pride at their accomplishment or give a shrug and say, "cool", and run off to do something else. I think if they don't like it from the beginning you're not going to change them. I believe one has to have the type of personality where you enjoy building things to get into this hobby. Some people just aren't wired that way.

Can't show you pictures of this last batch (slimlines and Europeans, at customer's reguest), but you can see a lot of his other pens in my photo album.

woodwish

My younger daugther has little interest but my older one (20) is a big help in the shop. Doesn't like to turn but loves assemble and package. I actually make more kaleidoscopes than anything else and she is really good at mirror assembly and boxing. She also wants to travel with my wife and I to a show next week since she no longer works weekends. She is a natural salesman so this may be a good thing. Maybe she can sell and I can snooze under a treee somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom