My Israeli rant!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

meshel

I hate customs!
I just got a package from CSUSA, a total of 8 pens (including a Lotus kit) and a few more accessories (drill bits++)

The package came with a notice that I had to pay 169 Shekels (roughly $40) taxes on the buy! OUCH!!!

Next I'll buy in small batches - shipping will kil me, but I won't have to pay the country anything - thieves!!!

There has got to be a better way...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

LOL...Joe you have a criminal mind. Just like one person who requested me to send him a gift during the group buy. [}:)][;)]

jaywood1207

I have had some suppliers (no names mentioned on purpose) offer to send gifts and others I have asked have not responded. As a side note I did get an order a couple weeks ago listed as medical supplies and didn't even ask for special treatment on that one. Unfortunately I still had to pay the taxes but at least no duty. I feel for you and have the same problem.

leehljp

Member Liaison
It is not uncommon for me to order things and have it sent to my family in the States and they mail it to me, but often because some places do not ship overseas (Amazon does not on some items and do on others). Some charge more for shipping overseas than it costs to have it shipped to my USA home and then pay my daughter to ship it here by global priority.

In Japan, we used to have to pay customs on mail order from the US but that was done away with years ago on items below several hundred dollars.

I do not see anything wrong morally with having a package sent to a friend or relative in the states and then shipped overseas, unless the laws of the country specifically state that this is illegal. In Japan, it was suggested to me by a customs official years ago to have it done that way as the law here was very specific on being "direct" from retail outlet.

meshel

Thanks for the support!

In Israel anything that was sent from overseas is fair game for the customs, if the reciept says $50 + they almost immediately charge (how much is their call, they have complete authority - you can argue, but even if you win, it could take months to get the package).

Commercial packages (packages that come from stores) are obviously easier to spot... A "Gift" might be the way to go, but I feel bad about using anybody to do this for me, although I don't order much, it is still quite a hassle.

Does anyone here know a good smuggler that travels a lot to Israel?[:I]

Moshe

OSCAR15

Moshe: Do not feel bad as it sounds as if the tarriff is unreasonable! A small charge not so bad but 40 dollars? If you are making pens to sell, that has to be killing your profits. 1) Get shipped as a gift 2) Lie about the value of contents 3) Don't feel guilty about ripping off anyone who has no problem ripping you off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom