My Interpetation of Finishing Bushing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

Made these a few days ago. They work fairly well on the larger diameters, get a little too much flex on the smaller sizes, restricts the amount of polishing pressure I can use. Will redo and make two sets that are shorter. 5/8" tenon on the left and 60* socket on the right. That's a Streamline lower barrel in the bushings. Will post the pen later.
IMG_5608.jpg

C&C appreciated.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

My BTV ER32 Drive

Though I would go ahead and post my ER32 Drive center as well. Shown with one of my SL tbc bushings on the right and another bushing on the left I made to accommodate Streamlines.
IMG_5607.jpg

tool-man

I use something very similar. Make a dedicated pair for frequent use tube sizes and make the tenon that fits inside about 1cm long. It slides inside the tube and provides good support. When I first made mine (for slimlines) I was pleasantly surprised at how well the fitting on the tail stock side was held in place by the 60 degree cone on the live center.

No more sanding wear on bushings, no CA sticking to bushings, no blanks stuck to bushings, etc.

Made these a few days ago. They work fairly well on the larger diameters, get a little too much flex on the smaller sizes, restricts the amount of polishing pressure I can use. Will redo and make two sets that are shorter. 5/8" tenon on the left and 60* socket on the right. That's a Streamline lower barrel in the bushings. Will post the pen later.
View attachment 86437

C&C appreciated.

rebel1

View attachment 86437

C&C appreciated.
What are they mabe from

Dick Mahany

View attachment 86437

C&C appreciated.

These looked great! I recently got an ER32 cllet chuck and started making my first pens :biggrin::biggrin:. Although I've been turning for a while, I never made pens, and now have a real appreciation for the details and subtlties of the craft. Finishing with CA was a new experience and I quickly developed a beautiful multi-layer of CA on my brand new bushings :eek:.

Your post on the "finishing bushings" was perfectly timed, so I dug out some scraps of UHMF plastic that I had a from a router fence project I had way back, and made a set.

They work well but I can nly do a single blank at a time for Streamline / Roadster pens as the flex with two in tandem is too much.

Thanks for the idea !!

Top Bottom