Not open for further replies.

Penmonkey

DSC04690.jpg

Beat that!:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
It is supposed to be, that's why I use a diamond stone.
Gouge, skew, butter knife(parting tool) makes no difference to me,I figures out a long time ago and I wasn't the first one, sharp tools cut better.
Sorry you haven't discovered anything that hasn't been known for centuried.
Why people resort to a grinding wheel is beyond me, I wouldn't sharpen a knife on one.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
A grinding wheel is bad? I am not sure I understand that. I use a grinding wheel, and a diamond stone. I regularly hone with the diamond stone, but after 50 or so hone cycles, new steel is needed to get the blade back into the sharpest form......

Originally posted by Rojo22
<br />A grinding wheel is bad? I am not sure I understand that. I use a grinding wheel, and a diamond stone. I regularly hone with the diamond stone, but after 50 or so hone cycles, new steel is needed to get the blade back into the sharpest form......
same here, I get a hollow on the skew at the grinder, hone it on a diamond plate about that many times as well before I go back to the grinder for a touch up...some honings last longer than others...[8D]

bob393

<br />A grinding wheel is bad? I am not sure I understand that. I use a grinding wheel, and a diamond stone. I regularly hone with the diamond stone, but after 50 or so hone cycles, new steel is needed to get the blade back into the sharpest form......

True true.
You can only hone so many times before it needs to be sharpned!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Why?
HAve you changed its' molecular structure with the HARD wood?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Why is it that we have to argue the "grind vs hone" stuff every single month? It's simple. Make sure your tools are sharp and your turning will be easier. Make them sharp in whatever fashion works for you. Sheesh![:(!]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Why is it that we have to argue the "grind vs hone" stuff every single month? It's simple. Make sure your tools are sharp and your turning will be easier. Make them sharp in whatever fashion works for you. Sheesh![:(!]
I dunno, the OP made the discovery that sharp tools cut well and posted that observation.There was no information as to what he did to facilitate that discovery.
You have to admit it is an amazing if not earth shattering discovery.[^]

txbob

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Why is it that we have to argue the "grind vs hone" stuff every single month? It's simple. Make sure your tools are sharp and your turning will be easier. Make them sharp in whatever fashion works for you. Sheesh![:(!]

Hey Lou,

It's been a while since we had a thread on which is better for smoothing out wooden pen blanks, shark skin or sandpaper.......

txbob [^]

Penmonkey

My gouge was cutting very nicely last night and I thought it would neat to get a picture of it in action. I did not say I discovered something new. It is a cool picture of me turning a pen. I didn't post this thread so we could pull each other down. Eagle, please lighten up.

I was on lunch break when I posted the thread.[8D]

jjenk02

Originally posted by Penmonkey
<br />My gouge was cutting very nicely last night and I thought it would neat to get a picture of it in action. I did not say I discovered something new. It is a cool picture of me turning a pen. I didn't post this thread so we could pull each other down. Eagle, please lighten up.

I was on lunch break when I posted the thread.[8D]

I think it was a great picture[8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Sorry.
I saw the title and when I saw the picture Iwondered why would you post soemething that was common without an explantaion as to why you thought it was worthy of the picture.
I don't recall you ever posting having any particualr problems with any tools, quite the contrary the pens youo have posted are really great.
Sorry I didn't understand the purpose of your post,Not really sure I do now. Any way I am glad your gouge is sharp.

kenwc

Not being one to make any extraordinary attempts to hide my ignorance....but...what is a hollow grind/ground...?

Penmonkey

This is another picture demonstrating the very sharp gouge.
DSC04695.jpg

Thanks for the apology Eagle. I want to show others how sharp tools cut, and show off my photography skills at the same time.[:p]
Sorry, I don't know what a hollow grind is.

kenwc

I was making ribbons just like that last night on an Olive Wood uhm (shhhhhhhhh...bottle stopper) with my midi Spindlemaster.

bnoles

Originally posted by kenwc
<br />Not being one to make any extraordinary attempts to hide my ignorance....but...what is a hollow grind/ground...?

Ken,

My understanding of a hollow grind is the curve you get between the bevel edge and cutting edge when you sharpen with a grinding wheel. Many feel that this is a desirable thing to have on the tool. I use the Tormek as well as a slow speed grinder with the wolverine as well as a diamond hone and leather strop. I go back and forth between methods and like them all. I say use whatever it takes to get a sharp tool [:)]

TBone

Well if you're going to use a gouge. Try it with your pocketknife [:D]

Originally posted by kenwc
<br />I was making ribbons just like that last night on an Olive Wood uhm (shhhhhhhhh...bottle stopper) <b>with my midi Spindlemaster</b>.

Wha't a midi Spindlemaster? Is it shorter than normal? If so, where did you get it? I love my spindlemaster so far.

JimGo

I was actually admiring the pics, too. In fact, I was trying to figure out how you took them. How did you trigger the camera?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />
Why?
HAve you changed its' molecular structure with the HARD wood?

I am pretty sure I wont have to address that issue with people who understand metal, but eagle if you think you can change the molecular structure of the metal, be my guest....You grind to sharpen, you hone to keep it sharp. If you actually turn enough using the tool, you will in fact change the edge of the steel. In order to get the face of the edge back to honing tolerance, you will need to remove some steel. I never said anything at all about molecular structure....Seems like you got a raw spot for anything I say......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom