My First Two Pens In Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

As a first try at using acrylics I found that there is quite a learning curve to it compared to wood. First one I tried I made a wrong measurement on one of the blanks and that turned that one into garbage. Next one I got a blow out on the lathe . Perhaps the tube was not glued properly or else I was too aggressive in my cutting action . Both of those incidences were from my own carelessnes and I have nobody to blame but myself.
So learning from those two I proceeded with a couple more. It took a while to get used to those yard long curly shavings wrapping themselves all around it while turning.
Although I much prefer to turn wood, I believe there will be a market for these because not evryone are wood lovers like the majority of us are here. And the finish and appearnce on acryliic is outstanding
I think I have pretty well got it down pat now on how to turn them without the previous mistakes and I am looking forward to receiving the balance of my order that is coming from Lee valley.
Those kits sure are easy to put together after figuring out the first one. It just takes a few minutes to assemble the parts into the barrels.

195757998.jpg

195758932.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Great to see you posting again Bill even if they are pens from the "dark side"
Great job BTW.
I won't look for the 4 horseman unless I see you starting to cast your own resins.[:D][}:)]

William Young

I have been told that no actual "finish" is required on acrylic so I wet sanded to 1200 MM and then applied automotive polishing compond followed by wax. The finish is as smooth as glass.
Wish wood was this easy to get a good finish on it.

cteagles;
not sure what is meant by the "dark side" . I have been very busy with my own Woodworking Friends discussion boards site and the turning board is the most active one there for all kinds of turning.
But I still pop into this site whenever I get a chance to visit my friends here and learn something all the time even if it is only in lurk mode [:)]
W.Y.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by William Young
<br />I have been told that no actual "finish" is required on acrylic so I wet sanded to 1200 MM and then applied automotive polishing compond followed by wax. The finish is as smooth as glass.
Wish wood was this easy to get a good finish on it.

cteagles;
not sure what is meant by the "dark side" . I have been very busy with my own Woodworking Friends discussion boards site and the turning board is the most active one there for all kinds of turning.
But I still pop into this site whenever I get a chance to visit my friends here and learn something all the time even if it is only in lurk mode [:)]
W.Y.

NAH...
I wsa referring to turning acrylics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom