My first try at segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

After seeing some finely crafted segmented pens at the 2007 MPG, I got the itch earlier this evening. After building a sled for my table saw, it was off to the races, almost literally. I got more and more excited with each cut and ended up rushing it. Then I didn't get it drilled quite on center. Not going to use it on a pen but might on a key chain for myself. Not sure of what the light woods is as it came out of the box of leftover freebies from the MPG. The other is Walnut. Finished with CA. I really enjoyed doing this so I guess I'd best replace the x-cut blade with a finer toothed finsh blade.

20074734550_SEG1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

cozee,
That looks real good to me. could you provide a link to a tutorial on doing a segmented pen. I still have a hard time picturing how to do a segmented pen.

hrigg

There's a tutorial in the Library. It's not my pen, but it'll give you the general idea...

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/osbornesegpen.pdf

bradh

It looks great, better than my attempts so far. Did you match the veneer to the saw kerf thickness like the tutorial says?
I found when I did that I ended up with a thick band. Yours looks much better. I am looking into getting a finer kerf blade.
Thanks for sharing.

kmab

I don't think you could get a sled on the miter saw but Ron McIntire of McKinneypens.com did a tutorial on segmented blanks where he also describes a technique for cutting on the miter saw. I use the technique & it works great.

Google for:"Tutorial for the The Morning After" and you'll find it

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />I'd like to see instructions for a sled to use on a compound mitre saw. I need all the help I can get.

20074720304_cutting1.jpg
<br />

This is a jig that I use to cut segments on my mitre saw. Hope that it gives you an idea if you choose to make your own. Good luck and cut safely.

-Peter-[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom