my first segmented pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dilland

tell me what you guys think. thanks in advanced. I've made, a total of 10 pens? i think, somewhere around that number.

DSC_0638-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

barrels

Hey Dilland,

Technically it looks great. Good tightness at the segmenting joint, good control of keeping the wood clean from the different woods and and overall technically the pen looks good. I am assuming the wood choices are based on testing the segmenting process.

Great job

Dilland

actually barrels, no. this is my first bit of segmenting, and the wood was just some that i had laying around and i was like, "im gonna try this segmenting thing" so i did. but i just bought some purple heart and am thinking of inlaying it with maple. good idea? bad idea? and im sorry, IMHO?

stevers

Better than my first seg.
Like they mentioned above, maybe some contrasting wood or some pick guard for contrast. Also, it can be difficult to keep the sections of segmentation even. Careful measurements can be helpful, or even critical. Especially on pens with diff size upper and lower tubes. It becomes even more complicated on something like a Euro, where you have to figure in a tendon type CB.

For a first effort, great job. Keep on it and it gets better.

JohnU

Looks good from here. Seg pens are in the eyes of the beholder meaning I have made some real ugly segs that others have wanted but i hated them so dont be afraid to mix those colors. When using maple or other light woods keep an eye on the sanding since some color dust will tint the lighter woods. Some say apply CA before sanding. Try different things and let us know how it works. Also..."IMHO" = in my head only. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Top Bottom