My first rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

Here is my first, an americana rollerball from craft supply. The wood is figured afzelia. I think it is a nice looking pen but I don't know about doing more. I am not real fond of the friction fit in the unused position or in the used position. Both are quite tight. Maybe they have to be to stay together. Another thing that I don't particularly like is that littel white plastic cone thing that has to be forcibly threaded into the top half. The directions mention some kind of tool for this, or a phillips screwdriver. Of course they did not supply the tool. I like to have never got it screwed in enough that the cap fit down proplerly to the center band. Is this just my lack of experience in these pens or just a matter of design? I really do like the way it writes.

200513013831_roller.jpg

200513014012_roller.jpg

200513014338_afzelia.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Nice job,nice pen.
I have never done one of these,but it looks like a Berea "type" kit.
Woodcraft sells Berea kits and in the AMerican classic twist I occaisionaly had a problem seating the transmission in the cap stud or if it did seat it would be hard to get the mechanism to work.
I learned that I was scarring one end of the tube while I milled the other.
At that time I was using a hand drill on the mill an it was turning much too fast.
It's a good idea to check the insides of the tubes prior to putting them on the mandrel.
Occaisionally a bit of glue gets in there and you wild up with an off senter pen.

wayneis

Like jimr says, this is a CSUSA kit. Berea has one similar though. Jim you have to adjust the white plastic piece back and forth untill you get the fit that you want. You do need it rather tight because it will loosen a touch after a while. These are pretty nice kits, both Berea and Craft Supply. To me they are more attractive with out the threads on the ends, I like this kit myself.

As for the little tool, it's not really something that you have to have, like they say the screwdriver will also work. I have the tool and I think it helps but I could do without if I had to.

Wayne

Gary

Those are very nice, Jim. You did a great job on them. I'm not familiar with that kit so I can't help you with the assembly problems. I'm sure someone will have some suggestions and will post them.

jimr

Honestly, I am not so proud of this pen that I wanted everyone to see it three times. Obviously I screwed up, then resized it and screwed up again. I am glad it will loosen up a bit, it is very tight right now. I was afraid I was going to mess the insides up when I had to really bear down getting that white piece in place. Thanks for the info

Lou

I have no experience with the particular kit, but I can tell you that you did a beautiful job on this pen, despite the difficulties. Keep up the excellent work!

woodpens

Nice job, Jim. The Americana rollerball is a nice pen, and you did a fine job making it. Like Wayne said, just unscrew the white retainer a little to loosen the fit. It tales a little practice playing around with it, but it isn't so complicated once you understand the fit. This style of pen has been very popular with my customers.

jkirkb94

Jim, I found out that a large phillips screwdriver works great to adjust the white cone! Once adjusted they work nice. You'll learn if you make the threaded rollerball/ fountain pen to let people know it is threaded or they will try to pull it off![:(] Kirk[8D]

Build another one and on that one screw the plastic cone on the threaded stud before you assemble the cap end. Make sure you have screwed it on the stud as far as it will go and then back it off a few turns. This chases the thread in the new plastic. Makes it much easier to adjust when you assemble the cap and then make it fit properly.

The first time you screw it together it is a little hard to do and even harder if the stud and cone piece are inside the cap. After you have made two or three more of them you will get the touch and can screw the cone on and set it almost exactly correct before the cap is assembled and it will only need a slight adjustment to fit perfectly.

jimr

thanks for all the comments. That is a great tip, Mac. I actually started to do that then got scared I would not get it in straight and then screw up the plastic threads. Next time I will take your advice. At first glance this pen looks complicated but it is actually easy to assemble, just read the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom