My first pen order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

baumer64

I just put in my first pen kit order. I went into Exoticblanks.com and ordered 5 slimline pros and 5 compson. Also ordered the bushings and extra tubes. I think I have or already have coming all the other needed parts. Not sure yet what wood I'll use but I have some in my garage already. (Cherry, purple heart, oak, maple, locust, walnut, red cedar.) Looking forward to turning and assembling my first pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

baumer64

So here are my first ones. A Compson in Red Cedar with a CA finish, Slimline Pro in Purple heart with Friction polish and a Compson in Walnut with friction polish.

Love the depth of color in the purple heart but made a mistake on trimming and left it too long. The pen doesn't stick out far enough. Was also making a purple heart in Compson but had a blowout when trimming.

Was fun to make and I think I'll be making many more.

View in Gallery

ivel

Great job. I may be doing something wrong but every time I use purple heart, after finishing, it ain't so purple anymore.

nebens

ivel, after sanding but before applying finish, heat surface with heat gun or propane torch to restore purple color.

Ernie

ivel

ivel, after sanding but before applying finish, heat surface with heat gun or propane torch to restore purple color.

Ernie

Heard about the torch but didn't know a heat gun would work. Last time I used a torch the wood split. :frown:

Kenny Durrant

I've been told that the oil in the wood gives it the color. Heating brings the oil back to the surface is why they say to do it. How you want to supply the heat is up to you. Some will just set it in the sun until the color is back like they want.

ramaroodle

Remember to order bushings! I know you said you did with this order but for some reason, as I order more and different kits I, more than once have forgotten to order the bushings. Nothing more frustrating than having to pay $9 shipping for a $4 item. Luckily Ed @ Exotic ships the small stuff USPS 2nd day, so they arrive quick.

Top Bottom