my first pen!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

doohboy24

just completed my first pen!! yahoo!! not too bad but i have a ways to go. what is the best way to learn how far to go down to the bushing? where the center ring the nib and the clip press in. i left them a little fat there. would the investment in calibers or a micrometer be worth it or will experience just be the cure?? any pointers would be greatly appreciated. tks again guys!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

If the bushings are sized correctly, turn down to the bushing, until the wood is smooth with the bushings. Maybe even a little further depending on your finish. But for now I suggest just going to the bushings. Even with the bushings, thats why we use bushings, to be able to get the barrels to the correct diameter. A friction finish like EEE will not add a noticeable amount to the barrel. Those of us who use CA or lacquer maybe, may turn a little shy to allow for a few thousandths for the finish. A lot of my bushings are already worn down a little and help with that. An occasional check with the calipers never hurts either. Thats to check the barrels and the bushings. It's not a bad idea to compare the bushings with the kits components from time to time also. Check to see that the diameters are close to each other. After a while, you learn which suppliers stuff matches what etc. Like Paul said, experience is the best teacher. Just have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions here. Good luck and welcome to the obsession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom