My first pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevefromnfld

Hi guys,I finally made a couple of pens and am going to try to show a picture of my first one.I didn't have much knowledge of finishes so I finished it with hard beeswax heated up and spun on.I left the clip off 'cause I thought my sweety would like that.I'm on my 4th one now,,and can't stop thinking about the lathe,,,although this afternoon I have to get some work done on an intarsia I started.Has to be finished in a few days,,but I have to come up with an excuse why it's not!LOLOL...Thanks guys for your encouraging and help,,Steve.[
IM000941.jpg
:D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Ok, nevermind the pen, lets talk about the wood below it!

Really though, pen looks nice but we need a closer look at it laying on something in a different color than the pen itself.

Coatings are step 2 in finishing. Step 1 is micromesh. If you have that, then we can move on with step 2. [:)]

stevefromnfld

This is my second one.That's big leaf maple burl under it.Or manitoba maple burl,I forget now.I don't know what I'm going to do with it,but it will make a nice pen.I'm going to cut off a little and try one later.Steve,,,[
IM000944.jpg
[
IM000943.jpg
]]

stevefromnfld

I'm going to send away for some micro mesh,I can only buy regular sandpaper here,,and sometimes it's hard to find the gris I want,,the same with scrollsaw blades,,woodturning projects,and actually different kinds of wood,,I go to the post office alot lately!!lolTalk to you later,,,thanks,,,Steve.[:D]

Skye

Originally posted by stevefromnfld
That's big leaf maple burl under it.Or manitoba maple burl,I forget now.I don't know what I'm going to do with it,but it will make a nice pen.I'm going to cut off a little and try one later.Steve,,,

You're a lucky man, burls are one of the most popular forms of pen blanks regardless of the type of tree. You've probably got a lot of pen material there!

Pens are looking good man, the MicroMesh is worth chasing down. Here's one lead for you: http://www.woodchipshome.com Clown that runs it is named Charles, great guy. I'm sure he can get something to you. Using MM will bring your pen to an almost glasslike finish even before you use a real finish on it. You'll love it!

Rifleman1776

Very typical of a lot of our first time pen picture posters. The pen if fine but the photography is lacking. Closer up (your third picture is the best) and a little more light will sure help. Pens are lookin' good. Your woods are incredible.

AJM

Hi bye! I'm a fellow Canadian from Niagara Falls, Honeymoon capital of the world. How is it on the big rock?[:D]
By the way nice pens, welcome to the addiction, want to trade blanks? let me know[:)]

Snazzypens

Hi Steve, I hope my first pens turn out as good as yours. My lathe is on the road. So I am in the waiting game. IT taking forever
bye Toni

stevefromnfld

I need to find how to do a good finish now.I'm going to order some micromesh,,and then try and find a good clear finish that looks great.I see these guys pens,and hope to find out how they get those fantastic results!!!I've read about CA glue,,but tried a recipe,that didn't turn out good for me.I need some more practice!!lol,,,Steve

jwoodwright

Steve, nice looking pens and that is some beautiful burl. Nothing that nice in the Great Land! Locally, you should be able to get Schellac and Boiled Linseed Oil and Denatured Alcohol. Many receipes out there. Basically one part each is a start. Becomes a Friction Polish that you can apply on the lathe.

Watch your fingers and DO NOT wrap the rag around them, this stuff can get "grabby", in a Heartbeat. [xx(]

If Schellac is Not Available, Gun Stock Finish or Rod Varnish is also a good way to go... [:)]

stevefromnfld

thanks guys,I'm just read aliitle more of your posts,and am going to try out the finish recipe,I have BLO,shellac and DNAlcohol,,hmmm,gotta give that a try.Thanks again.Oh,and AMJ,I might have some blanks you'll like.I'll have to go and add up what I got here,,and see.
Anyway,take care guys.
Oh,has anyone here evr turned Irish Bog Oak pen blanks,,not that I have any,I was wondering about them.I might try to get some pieces of that wood sometime,Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom