My First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazmonro

Ok guys, this is my first pen. I know the wood is a bit nondescript, but it came from a tree in my friends back yard. Its really tight grain, like maple, I think its a mountain ash or some other fruit tree. It feels awesome.

firstpen.jpg

Anyway, I sanded up to 1500 dry and then hit it with some shellwax friction polish. I didn't get the shine like I thought I would, its more like a satin finish, what did I do wrong? I ordered some CA today and plan to try the CA finish on the next few pens I mak. I also left the barels a little large because I was a bit gun shy and didn't want to turn them too small. I think it looks ok. Please don't flame me on the lousy quality of the photograph, Its the first time I've tried to take a pic of a pen. Wood that the pen is sitting on also came from that tree. Next time I'll photograph the pen against a more contrasting background.

Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Chuck,

Very nice start! Make sure you set this pen aside as your "starting point." Read and re-read the forum, especially the finishing forum. There are many different ways to finish a pen, and you will find the one that suits you best. Think about discarding the Shellowax. There are much better and longer lasting finishes out there. Consider investing in Micro Mesh to fine sand your pens. Most of all, have fun and never forget that hobbies are fun, not work! [8D]

BTW, welcome aboard.

JimGo

William pretty much hit the nail in the head. You did a greag job for your first pen! Micromesh will really help the finish. Then there's the actual finish technique. It's all up to you, but the shellawax isn't going to give you the finish you really want. CA, Lacquor, Enduro, Polly, and others are all great finishes. CA is especially good if, like many of us, you are impatient, but it does take some practice. The others can be a little more forgiving, in some ways, but require more time (gotta let the coats cure, unlike CA).

rtjw

Looksmlike you did a good job on the first pen. This forum provides a lot of knowledge and you will learn a lot from it. You are on your way and buying the CA glue is a good start. Just be careful, this addiction is very costly.

saftrep

Great job on the pen. I know how it is to be gunshy. I just started myself. I use the micro mesh all the way to 12000. I bought BB's DVD. Well worth the price. I have watched it several times.

David

Leather Man

You have a good start Chuck. Your first pen looks great. I also have BB's DVD. It is a great help. I am a fairly new turner myself and there is so much to learn. The information and help you get here on this forum is more help than most magazines have. Keep at it and welcome to the IAP.
Ben

knottyharry

Wooo Hooo
Way to go Chuck.
Great job. Like the others hae said the micro mesh will help a lot. Personally I don't care for the Shellawax...once you get used to the CA you will really notice a difference.
Just put it on lightly, let it dry, and put on a second coat.
Don't put it on too heavy...or you run the risk of gluing the bushings to the mandrel. This is the voice of experience talking. lol
Keep up the great work.
Harry

Woodnknots

Nice job Chuck!! I agree with the rest, try another finish. The tutorial on the home page for BLO/CA is spot on, I've adjusted it for my needs, but it definitely put me in the right direction. I've tried other finishes, mostly due to the fact that I wasn't following the blo/ca tutorial to the letter (gotta burnish with paper towel, don't just let it dry) and wasn't getting the finish I wanted. After getting the CA finish right, I haven't done anything else!! Anything else takes WAY too long for me. I think I'm a little like a toddler that way. After flatworking and waiting for those finishes for as long as I have, it's nice to have one that works, looks nice, lasts long time, and is done in 5 minutes!! BTW, WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom