My first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

Well I just turned my first pen. I was really happy with it until I started to finish it and there was a bugger in the wood so I sanded it a bit more and went to look at it and it had torn out to the tube. The other piece turned out great. I was surprised at how thin the wood actually is on a 7mm slimline pen.:eek: The next time Ill make it fatter in the middle, although that will probably look like an hour glass. (these are from a starter set from Penn State. But hey anyway, I'm a penturner now for real, even if I suck.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

you are now an official pen turner.. EVERYONE of us has had failures, and way more in the beginning of our turning career. I know what you mean about really thin. My issue when I started was that the blank was not properly glued and when I got it really thin, there was nothing to keep it from breaking loose.

Don't toss the bad blank.. hold it.. look at it.. see if there is a blank of a contrasting color that would look cool.. and do a joint effort.. then.. keep it forever.. I look back at the first one I created and am amazed how far I have come. I am not nearly as skilled as so many here, but I love to turn and am addicted.... :)

magpens

Any time I get the opportunity (when someone asks me), I advise newbie pen-turners to NOT start with a slimline .... the only "advantages" of a slimline are its cheapness, frustration, and lack of satisfaction in the outcome.

I think the best pen kits for first-time penturners are the PSI 30 Caliber Bolt Action, or the Sierra Twist, both turned with straight sides. Of those two, the Bolt Action is probably the best. You pay more for the kit, but it is well worth it to avoid the frustrations built in to the slimline. Plus, after a very easy turn, you end up with a satisfying piece of writing equipment in your hands.

I started the way you did because I was advised to start that way. And I ended up feeling the way you do. In retrospect, starting with a single barrel medium-sized kit like the ones I have mentioned would have been much better for me.

Sorry you are feeling frustrated, Kragax.

Last edited:

JohnU

Last edited:

Kragax

Thank you all. Im not really that frustrated. I bought the starter set expecting to scrap several. Was busy today but will look at repairing it tomorrow. Thanks for the advice and good thoughts.

WriteON

I'm a penturner now for real, even if I suck.:)

Everyone sucks at first....however after a few you will be a pro. There are no mistakes here...everything is a learning experience. Have fun and be safe...protect your eyes, face, ears each and every time you turn.
I'm glad I started out with slim lines. I learned to disassemble & repair. The knowledge comes back into play with the bigger and more expensive stuff.

Last edited:

WriteON

I'm a penturner now for real, even if I suck.:)

Everyone sucks at first....however after a few you will be a pro. There are no mistakes here...everything is a learning experience. Have fun and be safe...protect your eyes, face, ears each and every time you turn.

WriteON

But hey anyway, I'm a penturner now for real, even if I suck.:)

Top Bottom