My first homebrewed PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Have I mentioned that I'm a wood guy? But after seeing so much variation on here, I have learned to appreciate more than just wood pens thanks to parties too numerous to mention. Anyway, I decided to play around a little and mixed a "test" batch.

20056235522_homebrew1.jpg

I say test batch because I didn't use PR coloring. I used something I had on hand from a past business and I wanted to see if it would work. As you can see from the picture, it works just fine, but I did mix it just a bit too long and lost some of the swirls I was hoping for. Lesson learned. Oh yes, what pray tell did you use, Billy? It's actually something that's prpbably too costly to buy for this purpose, but like I said, I have it on hand. It is two part automotive polyurethane basecoat. Expensive stuff, but I have about a dozen and a half colors and can mix more.

Here is my first PR pen with this stuff.

2005624151_bluepearl_prsl.jpg

I have to tell you, this was quite the experience. I was a little worried at first because about half way through knocking off the corners I checked my progress and noticed what looked like air holes everywhere (chip out of sorts I think now). Once I got the corners taken care of everything settled down and it looked like someone sprayed me and the shop with a can of silly string. Fine blue ribbon everywhere. [:p]

Sorry for the long post, but this was pretty cool and I know some of you like details. [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Thanks, guys! Coach, like I described in the post, I used two part automotive polyurethane basecoat. Jim, for the test I used a (don't laugh) HotWheels blister. You know, the little plastic bubble that protects the cars on the cards. [:p]

EDIT: Sorry, Coach, that sounded a little demeaning, but it wasn't meant to. [B)] I get a little long winded sometimes and can easily see how some may have glazed over by the time they got to that part. [:p] Please accept my apologies if I offended.

coach

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Thanks, guys! Coach, like I described in the post, I used two part automotive polyurethane basecoat. Jim, for the test I used a (don't laugh) HotWheels blister. You know, the little plastic bubble that protects the cars on the cards. [:p]

EDIT: Sorry, Coach, that sounded a little demeaning, but it wasn't meant to. [B)] I get a little long winded sometimes and can easily see how some may have glazed over by the time they got to that part. [:p] Please accept my apologies if I offended.

No apology needed. I guess I can't read very well when I am tired.

alamocdc

Thanks again to everyone! There's actually a lot more swirl in it than the camera picked up. Maybe because of the coloring I used. Everyone that saw and hadeled it today went gahgah over it and can't wait for me to bring in more. I made 13 more batches tonight in 13 different colors and I didn't mix them as long. I used the 3/4 round ice cube tray that JimGo introduced the other day and moved the cup around over the mold as I was pouring to get even more swirl. SWMBO has me busy for the next three days so I won't be able to do anything with them until next week. [:(] Drat! I even drained the remnants of the cups into a separate mold and gave it a swirl. It may well look horrible. [:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom