My first disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I just did my first disassembly of a slimline pin and was a little surprised of how easy it was - considering how tight the fittings seemed to be.

I made three or four slim line pens early on that had fine sanding, BLO and and HUT. Great finish for a few days, but then it just rubbed off. I took one apart tonight to refinish with CA/BLO.

I used a vise, added two layers of the thin gripping pads on each side and tightened lightly. The pads held during the taps to dis-assemble and it was not too tight to distort the pen shape.

My disassembly kit came from PSI. Now to disassemble the others and refinish them.

(Add in Note: I did not use a vice as originally written, but rather a vise. :D I need two watch my spellin'.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Thanks for the info Hank! Glad you were successful; I may have to do the same thing soon! Good luck with the rest of your pens!

Kurt Aebi

Hey Jim,

Check out the Classifieds, Lamar Sherril (SWOODWORKING) makes his own disassembly kits for 7mm's and he either sells them or trades them for pen blanks of equal value.

I have one and it works like a charm (a Lucky Charm, if you know what I mean!)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Hank and Jim,
You can, with some care use these
<http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G5651> to disassemble pens. I find them much easier to use than the more expensive pen disassembly kits fron the pen suppliers.
All you do is select the correct punch to fit the barrel, hold the barrel tightly in your hand and give it (the punch, not your hand) a few raps with a hammer and the pieces usually come out. You may, however have to use a little CA to hold the part in place when yoy replace it in the barrel.
If you use CA in the first place to glue the part in, it may or may not come out.

Monty

Be careful with that piece of wood. Do you think wood grows on trees?????????????

RPM

I use one of those rubber grip pads used for opening jars to hold the pen during disassembly. It gives you a non-slip grip and protects the pen.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom