My first blowout

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

I guess it had to happen sooner or later, but why with THIS blank? :mad:

I spent a lot of time gluing this blank, a segmented Curly Mango and 'Opal' Acrylic. Had it turned down to 'size' and was taking off just a tad more to allow for the CA build-up when...... POP. Lost the segment on the end (Curly Mango) and part of the center section (acrylic). BLAST.
This was a great looking blank, the first segmented I've done. I'm starting to not like my new tool, think I'll go back to the other one.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have a go-to tool that I use in special situtions. I like my new ones better as they have more heft, but I just have not got the experience with it in touchy situations. In all probability, I will always do this. Big tools for turning major portion but smaller or lighter tools for refinement. AND, that could just be because I have the most experience with my lighter tool.

I packed my tools nearly 2 years ago in Japan and just a few weeks ago got my lathe back together and found my turning tools. I bought the Woodchuck Pro and Pen Pro. I like them but in playing around for the past two weeks to get the "feel" back, when I want a specific look on a delicate piece of wood, I found myself grabbing my GoTo tool, a home made scraper with a slight angle on the end. For major turning and turning down to close to size, I use the bigger ones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom